PDA

View Full Version : Help! No sound but it plays alright.

andlucas
06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
I have just upgraded windows 2000 server, having hard disk partitioned into three, deleting all the unncessary applications, and the like. Nothing odd happened, or was supposed to happen, as far as i am concerned, except the sound is not working. When I inserted CD, the media player shows that it is playing well. The volume is set alright. When I played something on line, again, the media player was launched and showed something being played. It's just that the sound doens't come out. What went wrong?
I am a novice here when it comes to this stupid black box, called a computer. :) Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, it was not I who did the upgrading. So he might have done something to cause this trouble? In the control panel, nothing shows something wrong, though. The devices/drives are there safe and well.
Help, quick, please! :)

Andrea.

Myth
06-03-2005, 05:11 PM
If it has external speakers, I am hoping you checked they are plugged in, and in the right jack.
If internal, the speaker might be stuffed.

It might pay to have a look in device manager as well, see if you have any sound device not working correctly

andlucas
06-03-2005, 05:17 PM
it is internal. What does that mean that the speaker might be stuffed? What should I do to "un-stuff" the speaker, then? Thanks!!!!!!

Myth
06-03-2005, 05:22 PM
stuffed = broken.

But before we go there... did you look in device manager?

andlucas
06-03-2005, 05:31 PM
In device manager, everything looks just fine. It shows Creative audioPCI, audio codec, and media control system, and the like, all without red warning sign nor yellow question mark. When I double click them, they all say the device is running alright....
It shouldn't be "stuffed". It was working quite alright...
Ah, the pc case is not tower(horizontal), but next day I found the guy who upgraded it left it like a tower(vertical) all night. :) Could that be the reason? That shouldn't be?

the highlander
06-03-2005, 10:19 PM
plug a set of headphones into the green jack on the back of your comp and see if that works.
Also check in control panel that the mute box is not ticked or master volume set to off.

"Ah, the pc case is not tower(horizontal), but next day I found the guy who upgraded it left it like a tower(vertical) all night. Could that be the reason? That shouldn't be?"

Pc 's generally don't give a toss which way they are orientated (apart from kilogram sized monster heatsinks which are screaming to tear themselves out of the motherboard) Upside down can be tricky when inserting a cd too. :D
But no that isn't the problem.

andlucas
07-03-2005, 12:31 AM
ok, great, headphone is working!!! But still doesn't come out without headphone. I used to listen to music without headphone before the new installation of os. What now?

the highlander
07-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Buy cheap speakers ($10 -15 from warehouse dick smith, anywhere) and plug in same green jack and voila ! You have sound again.

andlucas
07-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Voila, alright! But it was playing music or any sound outloud just before intalling 2000 server all again, without speaker, and without headphone. What happened here?

the highlander
07-03-2005, 01:16 AM
poor connection/installation/internal speaker dead doesn't matter your'e going to get better sound than an internal speaker even with the cheapest warehouse speakers just get powered ones not the really crappy unpowered versions.