PDA

View Full Version : Recording TV to HDD

csinclair83
06-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey :)
I have a tv/pc LCD monitor, and I am able to watch tv while on the PC...(picture in picture etc) and have tried to find information online on how to record tv program to hard drive, then after editing out ads etc to record to cd or dvd...but i've only found info for involving a external televsion etc

I want to be able to record to HDD, and if possible...teletext when its on the program that is subtitled (the monitor has the teletext feature so yeah)

I'm using winxp pro with 80gig hdd, and dvd writer....have got a video editing software callecd "music and video maker generation 6" and "power producer"

I look forward to ur help :)

Chris

Prescott
06-03-2005, 04:09 PM
you will need either a video in capable graphics card or a tv tuner card for your pc, and maybe a bigger HDD, what are the specs of your pc?

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
The only thing I can think of, is if it were a PCI tuner (which it isnt), like Leadtek and u have the Leadtek program for it.

Which will let u record from a TV program to the hdd or directly to DVD.

And this also has teletext.

This program also gives u pic in pic, but not like the LCD.

With the Built in tuner, does a program like MSN messenger or any program that uses video, see the tuner as a device?? like a webcam or something?

csinclair83
06-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Intel 2.8ghz
512mb ram
80gig hdd..

dunno the video card, but have been planning to get a proper upper class graphics card in April for gaming....is this also a video card? or are they 2 completely different cards?

and with the inbuilt tuner, umm i dont quite follow waht you're asking...but if you mean when i watch tv while using msn messenger and msn picks the tv up as a device like a webcam....then no it doesnt do that

Prescott
06-03-2005, 04:21 PM
you can buy graphics cards that have them built in, VIVO (video in video out)

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Intel 2.8ghz
512mb ram
80gig hdd..

And with the inbuilt tuner, umm i dont quite follow waht you're asking...but if you mean when i watch tv while using msn messenger and msn picks the tv up as a device like a webcam....then no it doesnt do that

Yup thats what I meant if MSN picks it up as a device under tools/webcam settings. (If u have MSN 7 beta). Or other

Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt The only other option is to get a videocard with video in.

BUT I dont think this will work either, unless its from a video recorder.

Or something (the source) has a video out connection.

Metla
06-03-2005, 04:55 PM
uh....He says he can already watch TV on his pc....Therefore he must have Video-in,be it on his video card, a dedicated capture card or a TV-capture card.

Whatever app your using to view the media should have a record button.

And if it doesn't...then get an app that does.

http://www.videohelp.com/ chroinicle nearly every tv app ever made, there are free capturing programs,and a number of ones with a trial period.

csinclair83
06-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all ur replies..
Um,m dunno what media i'm using coz on the remote it has PIP button (picture in picture) and it comes up like a tv, no programs run b4 the tv shows up...

i alt ctrl delted to look in applications and nothing there apart from IE x2 which i'm using....and dunno what to look for under processes...

will go have a look at that website mentioned :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Its an LCD with the tuner built in, so would be a bit hard for anything to detect it.

Thats why u dont need any programs to see/run the programs on it.

csinclair83
06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Thats probably right coz the aerial plugs directly into the back of the monitor...
and even when i do a print screen 2 show m8s soemthing the tv doesnt show up in the image that i print screened...

guess a graphics card with tv in and tv out is the only way to go?

Metla
06-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Interesting, I missed the obvious.

Let us know if you do find something that will record from a combo lcd/tv.

godfather
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Unless I have missed something obvious, there is no "connection" between the TV generated video and the PC.

Rather it is a TV that can also be used as a PC monitor, so it's unlikely that you could record the TV signal to the HDD.

The PC is blissfully unaware that it even has a TV connected to it, the Video cable is a one way device from the PC to the TV/Monitor.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 06:30 PM
This program

http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

May do it, but it isnt free.

It's MEANT to record video and sound.

With what u have. I think it records in AVI format.

csinclair83
24-03-2005, 02:55 PM
After a few weeks of downloading and downloading and fiddling and fiddling...i've given up as my eyes are probably like this >>> :eek: and now i want to say thanks so much for trying to help me...

Yes MSN picks it up as a webcam, but the software you guys have given me doesnt record the tv, it records whats BEHIND the tv....which is desktop....so yeah...

I'm either gonna see if anyone can help me since theres new information (msn picking up as webcam, software records background etc)...Or can you recommend a tv tuner? As i'm thinking, may as well save time and invest in one because i'd be using it quite a bit...

I had a look at the Leadtek winfast tv tuner...but i'm asking for recommendations...

I'd love it to have tv in and out...so i can veiw my PC on tv, and tv on pc....well thats what i'm after anyway lol!...and to be able to veiw and RECORD subtitles, as i'm deaf (sorry for repeating since most of you already knew that but yea)....and also to have the cabibility of veiwing sky digital, as we are also considering getting another tv as the Rugby Season has started... :D and theres going to be arguements over why the OC is better veiwing than rugby....or shortland street over Lions Tour when tehy have midweek games...so if the PC can veiw sky digital then I'd love my pc even more...so yeah..

I'm looking at that winfast one but just dunno if it can do sky...and yeah..

Budget, dont really want to spend more than $150...but might do within reason....

Thanks heaps in advance

Nomad
25-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Just a thought. If you can get tv from your LCD are you able to use video out from the LCD to your PC using a cheaper capture card?