PDA

View Full Version : Software DVD players

Midavalo
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I have several software DVD player programs, and was wondering which one people find to be the best, and why?

I've always used PowerDVD (I guess because that's the first one I ever had), but also have WinDVD, MSIDVD, and I'm pretty sure I have some others as well.

Midavalo.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 03:52 PM
DVD X player.

Coz it plays Zone 1-6. Has Macrovision free, and it plays most formats

This saves u changing the DVD Region in XP.

And no firmware or programs like DVD region needed.

Without some kind of DVD player, or codecs installed, WMP cant play anything without a codec.

It's nothing.

Midavalo
06-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Without some kind of DVD player, or codecs installed, WMP cant play anything without a codec.
It's nothing.But with a codec? It's the same way the other players work, just that they come with a codec as part of the install. I have (somewhere) a Windows Media Player DVD codec which allows you to use WMP as a dvd player without other DVD player software installed.

M.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Well u still had to download and install it ??

A codec can be 1 file, or a DVD player program can install the codec for you.

WMP doesnt normally play it by itself without u installing something.

4bes
06-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Nero Showtime is my first choice, followed closely by Power DVD

Trev
06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
DVDXPlayer as said above is multizone.

Trevor:)

Midavalo
06-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Well u still had to download and install it ??

A codec can be 1 file, or a DVD player program can install the codec for you.

WMP doesnt normally play it by itself without u installing something.I had to install other DVD players as well - what's the difference? It's still only one step, like installing the DVD player program, as WMP is already installed.

M.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
With most DVD players u dont need WMP. They install their own codecs etc so u can PLAY a DVD.

WMP by itself doesnt do anything (play DVD's), without either a codec, or some kind of DVD player program. By default. Thats the diff.

gibler
06-03-2005, 08:28 PM
powerdvd as it is designed well and unlike some other players you don't end up with the audio out of sync...

alas I've not needed to play other regions for ages .. pal is usually superior anyway.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Umm with regions we're talking about Zones DVD's use not PAL or NTSC.

There's a difference :)

KatiMike
06-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Speedy , do you have to pay for the commercial DVD X player or is there a free / lightweight version? From their site it looks like there's a 30 day free trial , then US$ 50 or so to keep it ...

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I think u pay for both Katimike. I think the only diff is the Pro has 5:1, well it goes up to 7:1 and spdif the standard only stereo.

I think both are trials. Not sure how long the standard goes for. I think its 30 days too.

E|im
06-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I used to use VLC player for my DVDs. Nice n simple and didn't have random pauses like some other players. Now that I've got a home theatre setup hooked up to my computer I use WinDVD 6 because it can output a raw Dolby Digital or DTS stream through a coaxial cable to my amplifier, which then decodes it for the 5.1 surround. :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi Speedy , do you have to pay for the commercial DVD X player or is there a free / lightweight version? From their site it looks like there's a 30 day free trial , then US$ 50 or so to keep it ...

Also, altho these are trials, u can register them (within the program), once u download the Pro,or Standard to make them full.

Midavalo
07-03-2005, 06:14 PM
With most DVD players u dont need WMP. They install their own codecs etc so u can PLAY a DVD.

WMP by itself doesnt do anything (play DVD's), without either a codec, or some kind of DVD player program. By default. Thats the diff.

WMP, like other DVD players, requires a codec. Without a DVD codec WMP, and other DVD players, will not be able to play DVDs. So WMP is no different from other software players, except that you can play other media formats other than DVD and VCD. I would say that it would be a plus rather than a negative about using WMP. No need to install another software player, just the codec (which, if I recall correctly, was well under 1mb).

M.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 06:27 PM
WMP would be the last program I would use for playing DVD's for starters.

I would rather use something like DVD x player, then u dont have to worry about different zoned dvd's, if u play them.

I have about 6 zone 1 DVD's here. Which is a pain, if I play them on this system. With anything else but DVD x player or some kinda flash that makes a dvd multizone, which I wouldnt bother trying anyway.

Well no, DVD players (I would say most of them) install codecs. Then they'll play whatever DVD. They require nothing else. DVD player programs also support other formats besides just DVD and VCD.

I guess its up to you what u wanna use. BUT I would use DVD x player, or PowerDVD anyday. You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

gibler
07-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Umm with regions we're talking about Zones DVD's use not PAL or NTSC.

There's a difference :)

Somehow I don't think there is too many Zone 1 PAL DVDs..

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Good point Gibler. Just checked a few of them here, and theyre NTSC :D

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2005, 10:40 PM
PowerDVD is _by far_ the best!

However you cant beat the freeness in price and in region of Mplayer (Linux) or VLC (VideoLan Client - Win32/Linux/MacOS X)!

PowerDVD if it comes bundled for sure, nothing but the best!

Trev
07-03-2005, 10:42 PM
You can get DVDXPlayer Pro for free if you know where to look.

Trevor:)