PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA card for laptop

polo
06-03-2005, 02:42 PM
i got a old pentium 2 laptop with no cd rom but it has a PCMCIA slot i dont know what to do with it i heard u can put PCMCIA card to connect to a internet but how its possible do u need a phone connection or not

Graham L
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Yes you can get a PC card which is a modem. You can get one which is a modem and and an Ethernet adaptor. You can get one which is a WiFi adapter. You can get one which will provide a couple of USB ports which you could use to connect to a USB modem, ADSL modem or Router, or Woosh wireless modem.

It's a very versatile interface.;)

Have a look at Trademe, or even a retailer. The cards aren't too expensive.

Nomad
06-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I would go with the USB 2.0 or Firewire PC Cards. Then get a compatible external CD or DVD or one of the writers to go with the card. Or use a normal drive and a enclosure? You should have PC Card 32 bit Cardbus slots right? For many PC Cards that is a requirement.

These days the optical drives which includes a PC Card together is rare. Trademe may have one thou.

As Graham said you can get modems via the PC Cards in 28k, 33k, 56k, USB 1.1 or 2.0 for external models too.... You may have a serial port and thats a way to for 56k external modems but those modems may cost more than others... Yup modem+ethernet PC Cards are available, I used to use that with my 486-DX4/75 laptop. With my PI I used a 33k modem only card. My PII had a internal modem card. That may be an option but given its off a laptop that speciality part maybe hard to come by ...... If its an option on one of ur ports u should have a port with a piece of cover blocking it .... What you do is insert the internal modem card and attach a wire that should be in the laptop somewhere and take that cover out... My PIII laptop I upgraded from a modem to a modem + ethernet builtin.

Renmoo
06-03-2005, 04:01 PM
How old is your Pentium 2 laptop? It might not worth it to get extra accessories when it might be incompetible with slow processor. You might consider getting a new laptop, though. Cheers