PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Fax Console - Alternatives?

Strommer
06-03-2005, 10:29 AM
With WinXP Home is the Fax Console. It works OK but I miss my old Cheyenne Bitware fax, which does not work with XP.

One gripe about the XP Fax is that the Preview mode does not work after the fax has been sent, i.e., in the Sent Items, the Start Time and Recipient Number, etc. can be seen, but when right-clicking a sent fax and choosing View, nothing happens. Is this a limitation with XP Home or a fault?

Is there a better fax utility for WinXP, preferably a freebie or at least low cost?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
There maybe shareware programs, u can get from http://www.download.com

Not too sure what their limitations are tho. I use Winfax.

Strommer
08-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks Speedy - I had a good look on Download.com and a few other places. Found nothing that suits - even some of the $$ programs did not have good reviews. So I will put up with WinXP's fax.

Rob99
08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Snappy Fax (http://www.snappysoftware.com/)

MMM
08-03-2005, 06:42 PM
One gripe about the XP Fax is that the Preview mode does not work after the fax has been sent, i.e., in the Sent Items, the Start Time and Recipient Number, etc. can be seen, but when right-clicking a sent fax and choosing View, nothing happens. Is this a limitation with XP Home or a fault?
To view faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for .TIF files. [My .TIF and .TIFF both open with it]. I think I just d/click on the file for it to open. [sometimes they appear upside down too, and have to rotate them].

Sometimes this problem arises because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. So restore that setting in Windows Explorer>Folder Options>File Types and change the assoc. program with .TIF files there.

I've got a short cut to the Fax console on my Quick Launch bar. Just click on the fax there and view it in the Windows viewer. A/c to 'Help', you can also edit the fax in an editing program via Windows Viewer as well.
Don't know about your set up but shortcut link is to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\ WindowsNT\MSFax .Can now access Inbox, Sent Items, Activity Log, Common Coverpages.When I click on fax there, can now view it in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, and also set up the fax ready to receive as well.

Strommer
08-03-2005, 09:22 PM
To view faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for .TIF files.

Thanks MMM, but the TIF and TIFF files do have the Windows Imaging and Fax Viewer set as default (Folders / Options / etc.). But are faxes really stored as TIFs?? TIFs are HUGE files! Do you know exactly where the Sent Faxes files are stored - I could not find this in System 32.

... a few minutes later, doing an Edit on this reply...

Found where the Sent Items folder is...
["C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\SentItems"]
...and yes they are TIFs, ranging from 9 Kb to over 200 Kb (not the huge TIFFs I am used to, TIF with 1 F must be smaller files). Clicking on each of these TIF files opens the WinImagFaxViewer program but I cannot see all of the pages of the faxes, only the cover pages and in some cases the first page. Will keep fiddling...

Strommer
08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Snappy Fax (http://www.snappysoftware.com/)

Looks good, Rob99. Will try it if the MS fax fizzles out.

Strommer
08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I]Will keep fiddling...[/I]

Ah ha! Got it! :)

I was using the wrong button on the WinImagFax Viewer - finally found the one that 'turns' the pages rather than going to the next fax. :p