PDA

View Full Version : can my computer play dvds?

angelcakes1983
06-03-2005, 10:11 AM
On the front of my dvd drive it says 'dvd r/rw'. Can I play dvds on this?

I have tried and nothing happened.

I have got Intervideo windvd 4 software installed.

In the device manager my dvd drive is 'optorite dvd rw dd0201'

I have been using the troubleshooter and it mentioned that the drivers might not be installed, it also mentioned something about decoders but I am really stuck.

Please help me :(

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 10:30 AM
That should be able to play dvd's. It looks like its a dvd burner.

Any DVD burner should be able to play dvd's as well.

What version of Windows are you using? How much memory?? How fast is your system??

DVD's and CD's dont usually need drivers (If you have XP). Drivers are usually only needed if u want to use the cd/dvd in DOS.

KatiMike
06-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Welcome angelcakes , yes you definitely should be able to play/ view DVD's . A little more info would be helpful in sorting out the problem - is this a machine you've had for a while or is it new ? - is it a name brand or was it made up for you ? , what version of windows does it run ? etc
Just a quick suggestion - with the DVD disc in the player you could try R clicking "my computer" -> explore , R click the DVD drive and select "open with " or "play" or the like and see if it runs then . Does the drive work for other media - try a CD of music or data . Post back the further info and the helpful folks here will surely solve this one for you ;)

angelcakes1983
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks, the details are: -

windows XP, 512 MB of RAM, 2.09 GHz.

Any idea why its not working, and how I can fix it?

Ta :)

angelcakes1983
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I have had the computer for over a year.

It was built especially for me. It has not got a brand name.

When I try to open the dvd drive through 'My computer' it is empty.

It works fine for CDs.

Cstchie
06-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Iv had this problem before on my PC. Check the cable inside your computer and blow it out with some compressed air. Plug is back in and it should work fine.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 11:07 AM
What happens when u try and play a dvd in Windows media player?? Does it say it can't because there are no codecs as well?

Normally when u install something like WinDVD, or Powerdvd, it installs codecs for u.

Not too sure whether u can download standalone codecs, or whether u have to buy them, before u install them.

I just use Powerdvd, and dvds work fine.

angelcakes1983
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
In windows media player, when I go to 'play' on the toolbar across the top, the 'dvd or cd audio' option is inactive (i.e. it's grey)

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Did u install the dvd burner Angel?? Or someone else.

Whoever did it, did they go into the BIOS and select secondary Master or slave, so the BIOS detects it?? Does this burner appear in the POST screen, when u boot up the computer??

And what IDE connection is it installed on?? Secondary Master/Slave??

And what else is on the same IDE connection, as this burner? Anything else?

Prescott
06-03-2005, 12:12 PM
what type of dvd? where did you get it from? maybe the region on your pc is different than the DVD you are trying to play

johnboy
06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Have a look thru these to see if you can find any thing to help.
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/717/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0022.aspx#question1#question1

KatiMike
06-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Lots of good info in the posts so far , your system should easily be able to play DVD's angelcakes . If the info posted so far hasn't solved your problem , I've a couple of other questions - have you tried to play more than 1 DVD ideally from different zones [ ref Prescott] ? Has the DVD drive ever played DVD's ie has this just happened or is it the first time you've tried to play a DVD ? A few details about the DVD you're trying to play would be helpful - is it a commercial / zoned DVD or a backup from a mate ?
I would try uninstalling WinDVD , rebooting , re-install WinDVD , rebooting then seeing what happens . If the DVD drive works fine as a CD drive that's interesting , perhaps points more to a software vs hardware problem .
Post back your progress ....

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Go to device manager / that dvd entry. Double click on this to go to the dvd region tab. Is it on 4?? For NZ? or wherever u r??

Or did the region thing popup when u put a DVD in to play it?? So u could change it to Zone 4 or whatever?