PDA

View Full Version : Evidence Destroyer be careful!!

stuffed
06-03-2005, 09:04 AM
OK should have known better! Someone suggested a good idea to clean up a HD was to download a program to overwrite "deleted" files. Downloaded Evidence Destroyer set a restore point and set it running the action bar after about 40 minutes was complete but nothing more happened the program according to task manager was still running left overnight. Now my C drive has gone from 37 Gig free to 2 GB!! As well all the restore points have disappeared. Tried defrag but no joy. Have another 250 Gig drive but how do I get rid of what has happened to my C drive with XP etc on it?
Many thanks

Prescott
06-03-2005, 11:15 AM
go to the program folder in my programs, and see if there is some sort of temp file there, or if there is a back up, have you done a disk clean? have you read the help documents that came with the program? may it says there that they made a back up or so,you could try uninstalling the program if you have tried everything else.

E|im
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
It probably overwrites the freespace with big files and when it didn't finish properly it left those big files on the disk which is why you have hardly any free space left.

I suggest using the search tool and looking for files over 100MB or something. Or try some probable directories to see if you can manually clean up the files.

JJJJJ
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Without wishing to be rude. Why would anyone want to do a full delete on his hard drive? What's he got to hide?
I know the first thought that came into my mind.
Suspicious bugger aren't I?
Jack

ninja
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Just another example of why not to take advice from the "friend that knows all about computers"

E|im
06-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Without wishing to be rude. Why would anyone want to do a full delete on his hard drive? What's he got to hide?
I know the first thought that came into my mind.
Suspicious bugger aren't I?
Jack
Probably wouldn't be any of your business either.

stuffed
06-03-2005, 02:55 PM
OK found about 10,000 files after doing a date search each 1,024kg called Filldataxxxx (1,000 to 10,000) but when try to delete them in bulk in the XP Seach it hangs - how can I machine gun them all at once? They don't show in in Windows Explorer...
Thanks

stuffed
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks troops - all fixed - found the nasty one. Now going to go and deal with the person who told me about this - watch this space!
Cheers :D

Cicero
06-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks troops - all fixed - found the nasty one. Now going to go and deal with the person who told me about this - watch this space!
Cheers :D
You have to admit Get,they are a lot of fun. :)