PDA

View Full Version : ZoneAlarm Trusted Zone

marko
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi

I had to move my Ethernet NIC into ZA's 'Trusted' zone in order to maintain internet connectivity on my ADSL beyond a few hours.

While this has fixed the connectivity problem and I don't seem to have had any consequent exposure to anything malicious, I am concerned that I have effectively moved the Internet into 'trusted' status.

Admittedly I am behind a hardware firewall in the way of the Nokia M1122 router as well so hopefully that has helped.

Am I at risk in what I did?

Btw, I could not find any other way of fixing the problem with ZA despite extensive testing.

Rgds,
Mark

FoxyMX
06-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Hmmm... I am not familiar with ZoneAlarm, having ditched it years ago, but that does not sound right to me. If you are using the free version you could consider using another firewall instead. Outpost, Sygate and Kerio all have free versions that are very good.

pctek
06-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Well my network is Internet Zone. Uninstall it and reinstall it. Maybe some other setting you configured wrong?
With XP the only component I had to allow out was Generic Host Process, all else is blocked.
My router has a firewall also.
If you want to get an idea of how safe/unsafe you are try some of the "hack test" sites. Theres some listed here:
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/firewall-test.asp

tweak'e
06-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I had to move my Ethernet NIC into ZA's 'Trusted' zone in order to maintain internet connectivity on my ADSL beyond a few hours.

odd.

do you have a fixed ip addy for your lan card?
check the advanced settings for the internet and trusted zones.
this is adsl in NZ not overseas ??
what programs are you blocking at the moment?