PDA

View Full Version : Lockups and reboots

mofbr256
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I've got an amd xp2100+ on a gigabyte mobo, its always done its job very well, but recently its been getting a nasty attitude. It will reboot randomly, and recently has just started locking up.

It has always run a bit hot, and since i just moved in to a much much warmer dunedin flat, that was the first conclusion i came to. especially since sometimes when it reset it would beep, at about 2-3 second intervals continuously. it does have a volcano 6u heatsink and fan, or somethign along those lines, and has two case fans, having the side off seems to make little difference.

But recently its been giving me random reboots, without the beeps as well, usually when doing something pretty trivial, and not under very much cpu load at all, such as a simple shockwave application can't run for more than 10mins without the computer rebooting, but just surfing the internet it will not reboot at all. It also just recently has locked up a few times as well.

I have an old hardware monitoring program i downloaded when i first built the computer from the manufacturers website, it says the cpu is at 58, which i know is hot, but it could also be the old geforce mx32 that has no fan just a heatsink that could be heating it up, the other thing i can think of is the often overlooked power supply.

The hardware monitoring program lists the 5V power level at 5.3, and the 12V at 11.7-11.9 fluctuating often, i don't know whether this is trivial or an important symptom? dimm voltage is 2.4, don't know what that one should be thou....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Bryan

ninja
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
http://www.memtest86.com/ - would be a good start

pctek
05-03-2005, 10:29 PM
And check the power supply.

mofbr256
05-03-2005, 11:26 PM
didn't get through the memory test, it rebooted, when it started up again it was giving me a beep every 2-3 seconds again, i went into bios and the cpu temp was at 64 degrees, and the bios is set to warn if cpu temp is above 60, so i'm guessing it may in fact be overheating

ninja
06-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Weird. Is the fan running at full capabilities? Mebbe it's dying

gibler
06-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Well firstly I don't believe there are such warm Dunedin flats (for some reason landlords don't believe in insulation).

Anyway, if you want to get serious about the heat issue you really need to remove the heatsink and re-apply the thermal compound. Somewhat tricky stuff.

I'd also have a look for capacitors on the motherboard that are bulging or leaking.

A quick borrow of another power supply is something else to do.

FoxyMX
06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
but recently its been getting a nasty attitude. I rather like that description. :p

and since i just moved in to a much much warmer dunedin flatIt is possible that something may have got bumped during the move. Have you been under the hood and reseated the memory cards and checked for loose plugs, etc?

especially since sometimes when it reset it would beep, at about 2-3 second intervals continuously. Find out what your BIOS is and look it up on Google to find out what the beep signals indicate.

Your RAM could be faulty - if you have more than one stick try removing one and see how it goes. If you can try out other known good sticks try that as well.

Another possibility is the house's power, especially if it is one of those old Dunedin flats. I don't know how you would test that, hopefully someone else more knowledgeable here than I will help with that.

mofbr256
06-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Okay i got in and pulled the thing to bits and put it back together, including taking off the heatsink and fan and re sitting it with new thermal compound (didn't do much for the temp).

But i did notice as gibler said about capacitors, there are 4 below the heatsink and 2 off to the right, all 6 of them do seem to have a yellow crust right in the middle of the top of the cap. the very tops of the 6 caps have a cross pattern, looks like where the metal is folded, and they do look slightly bulged up compared to similar caps elsewhere on the main board.

Now what i don't know, is what this means :) i've blown a capacitor before.. (bad experience building an amplifier power supply) but never really checked to see what effect this had on the capacitor. So why would this occur, and is it going to have much effect if they are infact leaking?

And as a side note, i'm paying far too much rent to live in a flat that actually has insulation, and double glazed windows, its 10:30pm and its currently 26 degrees in my room :) some landlords have hearts, and the flat is only 1 year old, so the power in here shouldn't be dodgy.

Bryan

Agent_24
06-03-2005, 11:11 PM
looks like your board probably has some of those dodgy caps that were produced a while ago - if you can manage yourself, or get someone to replace them for you (make sure you get the right type) then you should be fine, failing that a replacement board would probably be the thing.