PDA

View Full Version : Networking

splatman41
05-03-2005, 07:53 PM
How do you set up a LAN between two computers using an etherner cressover cables so that the hard drives on both computers can be shared on the other.

The two computers (one running XP Home, The other XP Pro) both have ethernet ports.

The XP Home PC also has a broadband connection that needs to be shared.

johnboy
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
This page is good for setting up network.
http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm
hth

splatman41
05-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Didn't work. Need from start to finish.

Murray P
05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Does your broadband router have more than one ethernet port? If so network though that, otherwise get a switch to extend the number of ports or get a second network card (port) for the machine connected to the internet and share the internet via MS ICS. You best option is the first one though, desending in order.

If the switch on the router is not the auto-detecting you'll need to get straight through patch cables in plave of the cross-over ones.

WAN<-->Router with multi ports or connected to switch= > ====NIC-PC 1 & NIC-PC2
Both PC's have their own independent connection to the net (WAN)

WAN<-->Router with one port -->-------- NIC1-PC1with MS ICS-NIC2-->----------NIC-PC2
In this example PC1 must always be on for PC2 to connect to the net.

Phoenix-Wolf
06-03-2005, 02:36 AM
How do you set up a LAN between two computers using an etherner cressover cables so that the hard drives on both computers can be shared on the other.

The two computers (one running XP Home, The other XP Pro) both have ethernet ports.

The XP Home PC also has a broadband connection that needs to be shared.

First like Murray P said a hub is the best way to go. However you said you have Ethernet crossover cables in that case you to have go from pc to pc.

Now in this case you will need to make a master pc this will be the one that has the internet going into it like from dial-up internet or cable connected via USB. Also note that the master pc will have to be on for the other to have internet connection and also it does not matter which one is master even though one is home and the other is pro.

If u want you could go get a Straight-Through cables and a hub thus you could have internet on both pc even when one is off and in this type of connection the port 1-4 or however many ports you have it would not matter which pc is on what port you could even not use port 1 but the net will have to be in the net slot.

Now to the software setup:

You will need both pc’s to be in the same work group like WORKGROOP=HOMENET and with different names like COMPUTER NAME=MYPC and the other maby somtihg like OTHERPC. Now note these are just examples you can make it how u want it to be after you have these setup you should be able to connect.

Now to get the work group and name go to MY NETWORK PLACES and click setup a new home network and flow the instruction (I would suggest you do the master pc first because you will need to say other pc’s will connect to internet via the pc. but it realy does not matter.

Hope this helps :D

FoxyMX
06-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Check out the forum's Networking FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=49958).

splatman41
06-03-2005, 03:48 PM
:help: I dont have a hub or a router. It is just two PCs connected with a ethernet crossover cable

Murray P
06-03-2005, 04:55 PM
What brand and model is you broadband modem/router, is it an internal PCI card or an external ehternet or USB device, if it does not have multiple ethernet ports you either have to get a switch/hub (if external ethernet) or, add a second NIC (PCI ethernet card) to the host computer (the one currently connected to the net).

Come back with the info and we'll take it from there.

splatman41
07-03-2005, 08:52 PM
My Modem is an external USB D-Link DSL-200.

The rest is just two pc's with built in ethernet ports in the motherboards and an ethernet crossover cable. :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 08:56 PM
You may need a ethernet hub then, so u can plug the hub into the main PC, and u plug the other PC's connection, into the hub.

Since the modem has no ethernet connection on it.

You wont need the crossover cable.

Myth
07-03-2005, 09:07 PM
To set up a simple P2P LAN; just plug your internet into one comp, then plug the Xover cable into each comps NIC (built-in or card)
If youre runnin XP, go to network wizard (control panel), then follow the prompts. (do this on comp that has internet connection first).
Make sure when setting it up, you will get to a screen where it says somethin like this comp accesses the internet, make sure you check the box on the computer with the actual connection.
After you have done one computer, set up the other one the same way.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Thats true Just a direct connection with crossover.

Nah the wizard is hopeless. If it doesnt work thats why.

Do the IPS manually.

Then add the ip of the networked one to the modem?

Or is that only if its a modem/router? I dunno. I dont use a adsl modem or router.

And if any software firewalls are installed as well these may have to be configured.

Murray P
07-03-2005, 09:48 PM
As far as I know, that is only a modem, no routing or NAT cababilities. Hope you have a good firewall.

Yes as it is USB only, you don't have to install a 2nd NIC in the host PC to share the internet, a direct (crossover) cable connection will do, but you will have to use MS ICS or some other type of Internet Connection Sharing software. The drwaback is that the hoist will need to be on for the 2nd PC to connect. I'd have a good firewall on both PC's with that setup.

If you'd let us know the brand and model earlier it would have save a bit of typing for all ;)