PDA

View Full Version : linux Mepis (live cd, hardware testing)

beama
05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Im testing hardware compatibilty (before installing) with a live cd (SimplyMepis 2004 release, kernel 2.6.7 (debian based))and have a problem.

lspci detects the win modem as pci Conexant hsf 56 k
lsmod says the hsf module is loaded
KPPP detects the modem at /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 but reports it as busy

I have been through the complete range of devices listed in /dev/* and only two report the port as busy ttyS0 and ttyS1. /dev/modem reports no device.
I have two canidates for this install Xandros and Mepis, I would like the final choice to be Mepis but this issue has put a black mark on it. I know Xandros detects this modem and allows its use. Yes I have checked the modem config in Xandros and tried to carry those settings across - didnt work.
Any Ideas
thanks in advance

beama
05-03-2005, 11:55 PM
My testing was being done on a laptop using contexant chipset (not supported), I am posting this from my desktop (using Mepis live cd) which uses a lucent chipset (supported).
The Mepis site did say limited support.

Murray P
Guess that answers my question about winmodem support in Mepis.
All other hardware was detected in both the the laptop and this system.
although the keyboard repeat needs aaaadjussssting :D
SimplyMepis 2004.6 kernel 2.6.7

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Good to hear! Glad its working then :)

I'd be very keen to hear of your experiences, what you like and what you dislike, pros/cons, quirks etc

Cheers

Chill.

beama
06-03-2005, 12:56 AM
So far Chill its all good, It automounted all my fat partions (4 of them) each of them 30gig, found my usb cd burner and lets me use it to burn, it looks nice aand I feel it will be easy to use for a windoze dependant and linux savey person. (My teenage daughter likes it, must be good then :D )
its detected ALL my hardware and loaded drivers for items including my FX5200 card, as I said the only fuss I had was the contexant modem (on the laptop) but it is a winmodem
I'm using the live cd now.