PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2 won't recognise a USB drive

Greg
05-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi. I use my MP3 (USB1.1) player a lot to transfer files from my XP Pro SP1 machine to another XP Home SP2 machine and vica versa, but two other SP2 machines I've tried to transfer files to don't even see the new removable drive at all, despite the "New hardware found" pop-up message when the unit is inserted.

I normally simply use Windows Explorer to drag files across.

One machine I tried it with had XP Pro SP2, USB 1.1, and the other has XP Home SP2 USB 2.

I can't fathom out the inconsistencies.

Any ideas much appreciated, thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Does it need drivers?? Did XP load the drivers for it??

Greg
05-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Good point, but neither my SP1 Pro machine nor the one Home SP2 machine required drivers to be installed. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Hmm after the hardware wizard came up, I take it, it didnt ask for a disk/cd??

Hook the USB drive up again.. Look in device manager for its entry. See what it says.

I take it it doesnt show an icon in my computer, once u plug it in?? Has this USB driver got some kind of switch on it?? Maybe it needs to be switched so it appears?

drcspy
05-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I have seen this happen on an xp system it took about 10 minutes before it'd read my drive.........

Greg
05-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Hmm after the hardware wizard came up, I take it, it didnt ask for a disk/cd??

No hardware wiz - the notification popup shows in the notification area next to task bar - it's just a baloon.

Hook the USB drive up again.. Look in device manager for its entry. See what it says

I'll try that next time I get to one of those other machines

I take it it doesnt show an icon in my computer, once u plug it in?? Has this USB driver got some kind of switch on it?? Maybe it needs to be switched so it appears?

No icon. The device is an MP3 player - and it usually auto switches on when plugged into the two machines it works on.

Thanks for the tips - I'll nut it out somehow when I get access to my friend's PC again.

I'll also try drcspy's idea of waiting a while.

southern_jas
05-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Another thing to check is that the USB drive hasn't been asigned a drive letter on one machine that is already taken on one of the non-reading machines. I have seen this happen to other peoples USB drives from time to time.

On the machine that doesn't see the USB drive go into disk management and check that it is not there with a conflicting drive letter. If you are unsure how to go to disk mangement then right click on My Computer and select Manage. From the management screen select Disk Management and check the drives shown there and their drive letters :thumbs:

Greg
05-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Thx Jas - Disk Management is my friend, and it's not shown there either.

I'll be going to one of the non-working machines next week and will report back after trying some more stuff from above.

HarryAdney
23-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I have an Mpman MP-FUB26 that worked fine until about a week ago. The website, mpmaneurope.net has details of some kind of conflict with xp SP2 and advises uninstalling SP2 and reinstalling the mpman's firmware, (which you have to d/l). Unfortunately my pc still doesn't recognise the player; if the pc can't see it, I cant reinstall the firmware! I've emailed mpman and they say they'll get back to me within a week.

I don't know if this will have any bearing on the problem, or is just a coincidence. My printer - USB - wasn't showing. I got an error message saying "Operation could not be completed". It turns out there was a problem with a driver being disabled in Services. (I don't remember doing this!). Once started I was able to reinstall the printer.
My point is: 2 USB devices not being found by the pc in the same recent time period? Seems a bit of a coincidence. So far I haven't found a similar process in Services which solves my mpman problem.

If I sort the problem in the meantime, I'll post details.

pctek
23-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Yes, USB services need to be running.
Also you haven't got drive letters limited to something, like C: D: E: and then no more allowed??

Greg
26-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Yes, USB services need to be running.
Also you haven't got drive letters limited to something, like C: D: E: and then no more allowed??
A couple of good points there... thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Some systems need the inf files (for the mobo), to be installed too, if u made this system up.

Even with SP2, USB 2 wont get recognised without these inf files installed.

mzee
26-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I had the same problem with a Scanner.
Turned out that 'someone' had removed the SP2 files to make room on the drive. I had to reinstall SP2 after making room for it by removing one of 'his' games.
I had a similar incident a couple of years ago with SP1 when a D-Link USB modem was not seen.