PDA

View Full Version : Is Fedora Core 3 slower than WinXP?

saikou
05-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi,
Install FC3 on my old laptop and man it runs like a dog. Did a standard desktop install minus web and office software.

Admittedly, I don't know Linux yet. But comparing fresh installs, WinXP is much faster. And once I reduce XP to running only 13 process, it runs very nicely.

Tell me about your experience with Fedora Core 3 please.

Jen
05-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Does your old laptop meet the minimum or recommended requirements? Fedora by default will load a few services that are not required for a desktop install, so you might as well turn the un-necessary ones off like you have done for XP. Go ALT-F2 and enter system-config-services. Read what it says for each service and decide if you want that running, if you can't decide what it all means then research on google for more information.

KDE and Gnome are not light-weight window managers, and if your old laptop is a bit light on grunt, then I would recommend you install XFCE which is available on the FC3 disk as well and try it out. This is a light-weight Window manager. If you go Add/Remove Packages you will find it listed. You can also bring up this GUI by going ALT-F2 and entering in system-config-packages.

johnd
05-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I run my FC3 on a AMD Duron 850 with 256M and find it quick good - can't compare it directly since I don't have WIndows on my PC at all but from my experience I would expect XP would perform about the same as either GNOME or KDE desktops.

Murray P
05-03-2005, 10:33 PM
If you want fast, go for Gentoo or Yoper, although I haven't heard that FC3 is a particualry slow distro.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Ive found Fedora/Redhat to be rather slow too.

Apparently some of the kernel patches are related to the slow-down, however with things like voluntary pre-emptible kernel patches it should still be pretty responsive.

Slow thou, yes, Im not 100% sure why but it has been for me.

Xandros/Lycoris/Mandrake were others I found relatively slow
JAMD/Ark/Lindows were comparible to windows
Slackware and Yoper were faster for sure!
Gentoo is in a league of its own.
When running it optimised on my 2.8Ghz Laptop, I could be up and running in a matter of seconds. Applications loaded _instantly_!
It runs nicely on my 800Mhz P3, but there's only so far you can push a CPU.

Jen's right, remove some services.
Gtk seems (to me) to be marginally faster than Qt-based applications (KDE). Try something like Xfce4 if you want to preserve memory/cpu for other things. It _does_ make a difference!!

FoxyMX
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Install FC3 on my old laptop and man it runs like a dog. Did a standard desktop install minus web and office software.
What is actually running "like a dog"? Starting it up? Opening apps? Web surfing?

Have not yet installed FC3 but my FC2 takes a long time to boot and browsing the web seems faster with Opera and Firefox than it does with Konqueror. Open Office takes way longer to start than MS Office but you are not running that. Apart from those it seems to be pretty much on par with Win XP SP2. It is certainly no faster, that is for sure.

saikou
07-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Before my original post I had already disabled about 10 or so services. With closer inspection could probably do more. Had also used the lite desktop.

As for running like a dog. Try 1-2mins to logon(not boot). Try 3-5 seconds to open a folder. Try it crashing when extracting Open Office1.14 from an archive. Try it crashing 50% of the time when trying to open a USB drive (which had been mounted already).

Yes, my P2 333MHz 192MB RAM is under-specked(?). But it's also under-specked for XP, yet with a fresh install, and even with all XP's default services running it is still MUCH better.

Unfortunately I'm ditching FC3 and going back to XP which never crashes even on this old machine.

saikou
07-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Hold that thought. Will try Xfce4, as it is memeory that's mainly holding it back. Hmm, maybe I won't have to turn back to the Dark Side. ;)

Murray P
07-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Hold that thought. Will try Xfce4, as it is memeory that's mainly holding it back. Hmm, maybe I won't have to turn back to the Dark Side. ;)

Or try a differnet distro. As Chill mentions it does seem that FC is a bit of a slouch and with your specs it might be better to give it something that's got a lighter tread. Give Yoper a try, it's still a bit bleeding edge but pretty good all the same or Gentoo. I, haven't tried the latter yet, but have it ready to go.

Foxy, I find OOo a little slower than Office but then Office's default settings preloads a big chunk of it on startup and it tends to hog resources more from what I can tell. I'm trying out OOo now, for the first time writing a large report and things seem to be humming along nicely.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Yoper will run if its a P2, but _not_ if its an AMDK5 or K6 CPU - Double-check that by typing:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
from a konsole

I would definately be inclined to try Xfce4, its a _lot_ lighter. My mate has an AMD K6-2 @ 533Mhz, and the only Desktop-Environment that'll play DivX's is Xfce4 in Fedora Core 3. Windows just isnt fast enough to do DivX's and its jumpy as hell. KDE/Gnome use too much CPU in the background.

If you're really going for speed, try Openbox!!

Chill.

vinref
07-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Before my original post I had already disabled about 10 or so services. With closer inspection could probably do more. Had also used the lite desktop.

As for running like a dog. Try 1-2mins to logon(not boot). Try 3-5 seconds to open a folder. Try it crashing when extracting Open Office1.14 from an archive. Try it crashing 50% of the time when trying to open a USB drive (which had been mounted already).

Yes, my P2 333MHz 192MB RAM is under-specked(?). But it's also under-specked for XP, yet with a fresh install, and even with all XP's default services running it is still MUCH better.

Unfortunately I'm ditching FC3 and going back to XP which never crashes even on this old machine.

Most (all?) of the big, well-supported, current, new-user-friendly distros are quite resource-intensive. This includes FC3, Xandros, SuSE, and Mandrake. Fortunately, they can all be optimised to run on your hardware. Unfortunately, you as a new-user will not be able to do this easily.

saikou
07-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, you as a new-user will not be able to do this easily.

Rather than that kind of comment, why don't you offer suggestions?

To the others, I'm now running XFCE which is being more resonsive.
Thanks.