PDA

View Full Version : Using offshore broadband

lazydog
05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
This prob is a stupid question but...

Is it possible to use an offshore broadband service in NZ since overseas are offering alot better deals than here?.

I mean like could you open an account in oz and dail/connect into it from over here?.
It maybe a toll call but you only connect once with broadband right.
You get a family member or friend who lives over there to pay the bill and you compensate them.
It would certainly make telecom think about lowering there prices if ya could aye!.

Just a thought.
Cheres Lazydog

Prescott
05-03-2005, 10:40 AM
i dont think so, but i do know that you can use a nz orcon or ihug dial up account in australia using a different dialing number.

its still would be a bit more expenisive with the exchange rate or not?

lazydog
05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah you'd have to take into all those considerations like exchange rate, cost of service, speed of service etc.
If it can/could be done then maybe somewhere like south Korea would give the best service.
Anyways, as i said it was just a thought... :o

godfather
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Simple answer = "no"

ADSL broadband travels only 4 - 5 kM from an exchange, and not at all over fibre optic cable, so how you would connect over several thousand km is the issue.

And dial-up incurs a serious per-minute charge, plus many ISP's block dial-up access from overseas as well.

lazydog
05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for clearing that up godfather.
I should of known that from when i rang up to inquire about it for at home (i live rual).:o