View Full Version : Lost Jumpers

05-03-2005, 09:59 AM

You get a hard drive and you lose a microscopic atom sized Jumper, what can you do to get round it?

Isn't just performing a short across two wires an alternative (where the jumper would sit)?

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I wld go to your nearest computer shop, and ask for some. If they stock them, they'll only be a few cents each.

05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
You can get replacement jumpers from Dick Smith (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4228d3a2039a4020273fc0a87f9906dc/Product/View/XH5046). $3.14 for a pack of 20 assorted.

Terry Porritt
05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
I have a feeling that the Dick Smith jumpers are all the larger 0.1inch spacing, and their "large" really means tall or long.
The quite tiny jumpers on some hard drives like Quantum are I think 0.08inch spacing (I'm using inches as that is the original American specifications for pcbs etc), and the 'normal' jumpers are too big.

A computer shop may stock them, but it is not as likely as the larger ones. You could carefully bridge the pins by soldering, or wrapping fine wire around them.

the highlander
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Those little jumpers are sods of things. The pins on them are so close and so short together that even 5 amp fuse wire is really too thick to bridge them. I jumpered one once with some threads pulled from a steelo pad. Did the job till I found some more jumpers.

Graham L
06-03-2005, 01:52 PM
The good thing is that the pins are close enough that solder can bridge them fairly easily. ;) (Of course I can bridge tracks on Veroboard when I don't want to. That's why I use wirewrap.)

Murray P
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Just go to your local computer shop that does custom builds and repairs. Hopefully they will have plenty sitting around in jars or trays along with all the screws, odd cables, etc, that end out been surplus to needs. if your really stuck and anywhere near Welly, I have plenty of various sizes sitting in a jar.