PDA

View Full Version : Dialup connected, but nothing to say it is?

hamstar
04-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi guys,

Reinstalled Windows last night, onto my SATA *does a dance* and I copied over the pbk file from my last install however now whenever I connect to the net it doesn't show up in the systray, nor does it say its connected in the network & dial up connections, nor does it show the status when I double click teh icon again.

It comes up with the dial dialogue... and once clicking dial it does nothing...

Does anyone know how to fix this annoyance..?

Also, my net has been real shoddy as of late... what has telecom done to their lines? Last night I connected to the net, but once connected, it wouldn't do anything. Firewall was off.. didn't even get response from ping...

So I reinstalled, as the old install needed shooting anyway, and put it on sata instead, and it did the same thing...

Then this morning it was perfect.
This evening it was perfect.

Now I'm connected but its shoddy as microsofts code!!! Took me three tries to load this page!! I've tried at least six times to load the msfn forums, and its still just sitting there loading. I've tried all different apps, and they are either sluggish as frick, or don't even sense the internet is connected.

Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it. Absolute ****e!!

I wonder if they're trying that monopolistic thing again? Sabotaging the dialup server or whatever to make people switch to their even shoddier jetstream? Like they did when they were trying to get rid of the 025 phones?

Anyway, I'm going to pull the plug out of the wall to disconnect, so please help me...

Cheers
hamstar

Renmoo
05-03-2005, 09:00 AM
GO to Network Connections under Control Panel, right-click your respective ISP, tick Show icon in notification area when connected. Cheers

beama
05-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Hamster
I had the same problem after a reinstall with dailup, it sorted itself out after a while I think the V92 standard needed retraining.
Part of the standard specifaction is that it remembers the last connection speed and on your next attempt tries and connect at that speed and if line conditions change at all it cant then it will do all sort of strange things, once mine connected and and I was getting a 25% packet error rate, because the connection speed was not up to line conditions, I was not a happy surfer.

hamstar
05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I just found out what was stopping it showing up... my location details were not set...

Hopefully thats what is making it crap but i am unsure because it was doing it on the last install too. Also, coldfusion who is also on Quicksilver noted his internet has been acting funny lately...

ninja
05-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Also, my net has been real shoddy as of late... what has telecom done to their lines?Nothing.

Last night I connected to the net, but once connected, it wouldn't do anything.That's a bit vague. Mail? IM?

Firewall was off.. Doesn't mean anything. ZoneAlarm can kill internet connectivity even after it's been uninstalled.

didn't even get response from ping...Pinging what? A lot of hosts don't respond to ping.

I've tried at least six times to load the msfn forums, and its still just sitting there loading. I've tried all different apps, and they are either sluggish as frick, or don't even sense the internet is connected.Have you installed the correct modem drivers. The ones that came with the modem, not ones autodetected by windows or ones downloaded off the net?

Try unplugging equipment from other phonejacks. Faxes, cordless phones etc can all cause problems with modems.

I wonder if they're trying that monopolistic thing again? Sabotaging the dialup server or whatever to make people switch to their even shoddier jetstream? Like they did when they were trying to get rid of the 025 phones?Unlikely. Dialup is still their bread and butter. Why do people have to invent ridiculous conspiracy theories because their own equipment is shonky.

hamstar
08-03-2005, 12:45 AM
It's working now... pretty much fine... maybe its only on the really hot days that my net craps out like in a part of America...

ninja... telecom are not to be trusted.. hence the conspiracies...

and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR SIG!!!

umm, btw, no browser would load a page successfully when I connected before, and I usually ping silverserver, google, or pf1... and I have the latest modem drivers from intel for my XH1159 DSE modem... so yeah I have no idea why it was screwy...