PDA

View Full Version : STUPID Steam! (HL2) Updating... 26%

Atreides
04-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Today I bought Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition. $120. One of the best games ever made, right?

Well. I try to install it. Half-Life 2 seems to be finished installing. Now if I click on it to run it, up comes STEAM. Steam, in a small green box in the centre of the screen, says it is updating. It goes from 0% to 26%, pauses, goes back to 0% and tries again. Same thing. Once more. Then it gives the error message: "Steam is currently unavailable, try again later," and closes.

This happens on my 2.8GHz 1GB of RAM Windows XP Home SP2 PC, but my 500MHz second PC updates Steam fine. Thus it is not my Paradise broadband internet, nor router causing the problems. It is some problem on the local machine. The PC accesses the internet and email absolutely fine, and like my 500MHz PC has ZoneAlarm and Spybot Search and Destroy. It also has Norton Antivirus. I have tried disabling all these programs (I've even run it in Safe Mode) - exactly the same thing happens.

All of this has been very frustrating, and I have spent the last 4 hours trying to make it go. On the same computer I have connected to the internet using dialup, and it still does not work. So it isn't the network card or settings for that device. I've looked all over the other settings for the computer, but really have no idea what to look for.

Has anyone else had a problem with Steam of this nature, or have any suggestions to fix it?

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Are you using the same version of HL on both computers??

If so, maybe thats why??

Its updated the 500 mhz PC, (if it uses a serial to install it), and if the same cd was installed (and same serial) was used on the 2.8, the server has detected this??

Atreides
04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
No no, I have not installed Half-Life on the 500MHz at all. I have not created a Steam account. All I've done on the 500MHz is run Steam and see if it updated properly.

You can freely download Steam from http://www.steampowered.com
Don't need the game.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Ah OK Atreides. My bad :)

Nope thought that might be the case, which it isnt I'll shutup :D

I'm not much use since I havent got HL myself, or broadband :(

Growly
04-03-2005, 09:08 PM
What operating system does the 500MHz PC use?

Atreides
04-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Also Windows XP.

E|im
04-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Reboot. Try installing again. If it still fails, uninstall HL2 and clean out the Steam directories and try again. $120 for HL2 ugh! I paid like $80.

Atreides
04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I have rebooted. I have reinstalled Steam. I have not reinstalled Half-Life 2 because that is not where the problem is.

There are three versions of Half-Life 2: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Bronze has only HL2 and is $80
Silver has HL2 and also Half-Life 1: Source and Counterstrike: Source ($100)
Gold has everything in Silver and also collector stuff. ($120)

Prescott
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
its the collectors edition = more stuff and its in dvd format i think

Metla
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Of course its related to HL2. the patches for the game are all streamed onto your comp and installed via steam.

Atreides
04-03-2005, 10:41 PM
The problem is with Steam, not with Half-Life 2, Half-Life 1, Counterstrike, or anything else. Steam.

Steam is something you can download separately, for free. http://www.steampowered.com

Though it seems to be a problem caused by some computer setting. 26% is where Steam connects to the actual content servers. So it isn't connecting.

This is a step by step guide to what should happen when installing Steam:
http://home.covad.net/~k25125/SteamyThings/Steam_Install_FAQ.htm
In my case it is Step 6 that dies.

Parry
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Steam sucks alright. Ive seen a few postings online that mention the ClientRegistry.blob file in the HL2 folder causes problems. Seems its a file that gets rewritten each time you start it. Move/rename it and try again. If a no goer, then copy the blob file from your other pc and see if that works.

Metla
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Interesting.

I would still suggest a complete uninstall of all related software, a mop up of left behind install folders, a quick clean out of the reg,reboot, kill off all background apps...reinstall.

Jams
04-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Heh.

Steam is a pile of steaming crap. Its a good effort at trying to minimize piracy. But it creates more troubles than it fixes, the amount of times that i just cannot connect to the network looking for a CS: Source game, and the amount of game forums that have gamers slagging off steam should let the HalfLife creaters know they should of made a different approach.

people are out there looking for cracks to bypass STEAM even though they have paid for there own legit copy of HalfLife 2 becuase STEAM wastes time, and it forces you to own an internet connection to play this incredible game.

Metla
04-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Steam done zero to combat piracy, Hl2 was cracked and distributed like every other game, and Counterstrike Source is available in fully patched form and completely playable online, right along side all of us that paid for the software.

Haven't had any issues with steam myself, But when I do I'll jump straight onto the "damn steam,damn it to hell" bandwagon.

Atreides
04-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I actually downloaded Steam a few days before I bought Half-Life 2. It didn't work then. I still bought Half-Life 2 because I had hoped it would be an avoidable problem. Nope.

But anyway, the fact that it didn't work before I even installed the 6 GB of Half-Life 2 stuff shows that it is not a corrupt game file or anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled Steam a few times then, too. Before HL2. And I rebooted a few times, as it was over a few days.

I didn't do anything to the registry or folders...
a quick clean out of the reg How should I clean the registry? There's CCleaner..?
I'll do stuff to it tomorrow... and attack the ClientRegistry.blob file too.

Yeah, sorry if I sound tired and angry. It's because I'm tired and angry. I do appreciate your help. :)

E|im
05-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Multiple installs of steam is a recipe for disaster.

First uninstall all Valve related software on your machine in preparation for a clean install. Try RegSupreme Pro and use trial version. Click Registry Cleaner tab, then do a deep scan. Right click and select all and click fix. Make backup option just in case.

Now start with installing HL2 from the DVD.