PDA

View Full Version : How to choose between CPU, MoBo & FSB

ramu
04-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Some of AMD's sempron CPUs themselves delcare they have a 330 FSB. This makes me think why I should go for a low speed FSB not bothering to know about how that feature was built into the CPU. But it definitely confuses me as to which MOBO I should choose for that type of CPU, again not bothering about searching for their website for matching MOBOs.

Recently I found a MOBO with an 800MHz FSB being sold as a clearnace product by Dick Smith under $70 but only suitable for P4 CPUs. I was tempted to buy it as I wanted to upgrade my 950MHz Duron CPU that runs with at 333MHz FSB or under. But the idea of a P4 CPU only did not attract me. Because the PC I use in my job in the public office PC runs with a P4 CPU. And it doesn't run any more faster than the low rated AMD CPU I have. But definitely my home PC CPU is slow with website downloads at its dial up connection.

Recently following one reply to one of my previous Threads, I scanned through AMD's claims of high calibre CPUs that wouldn't bother any more with FSBs in MOBOs. But I really got confused with all those tech stuff and so couldn't draw up any conclusions in favour of it.

I am very clear about upgrading to a better performance PC in the very near future. But which is which?
Regards
ramu

Metla
04-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Ignore the fsb.

Simple aye?

And take your business to a shop that can advise you with your purchase.

hamstar
04-03-2005, 07:12 PM
OK dude, either go to a shop somewhere (QMB (http://www.qmb.co.nz) are very good if you are in auckland) or listen to this.

Some of AMD's sempron CPUs themselves delcare they have a 330 FSB.
As you may know, Sempron are pritty much like AMD's answer to Celeron.

Recently I found a MOBO with an 800MHz FSB being sold as a clea...
AMD motherboards stay true to the FSB reading. A DDR400 is 400MHz on a AMD board. However, on a P4 board, they do something call quadspeed that multiplies the fsb by 4, with no real advantage over AMD. Apart from making people think P4's are faster. So that 800Mhz is actually 200Mhz.

I scanned through AMD's claims of high calibre CPUs that wouldn't bother any more with FSBs in MOBOs.
They are merely telling about the new AMD 64 processors that have the FSB actually built into the processor, so there is no need for it to be on the mobo.

I am very clear about upgrading to a better performance PC in the very near future. But which is which?
I would definitely absolutely recommend upgrading to an AMD Athlon, or Sempron if you can't afford the Athlon... then choose a mobo to go with it.

For this I would recommend an ASUS. My A7V600 is great however, you may want to look at an A7V400-MX. Both support 266, 333, and 400Mhz RAM and have a fsb speed to match.

Good luck anyway. Just ask if you need any more help :D

Myth
04-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Ummm ...

AMD motherboards stay true to the FSB reading. A DDR400 is 400MHz on a AMD board. However, on a P4 board, they do something call quadspeed that multiplies the fsb by 4, with no real advantage over AMD. Apart from making people think P4's are faster. So that 800Mhz is actually 200Mhz.

From about the K7, or the Thunderbird Athlon, AMD have been using double speeds (i.e. 266MHz is actually 133)

They are merely telling about the new AMD 64 processors that have the FSB actually built into the processor, so there is no need for it to be on the mobo.

By fsb I assume you mean frontside bus.
Umm... AMD have not built the NorthBridge into the Athlon last I looked, I may be wrong.

As for ramu's original post,
AMD; Pentium 4.... the choice is yours, I use Pentium 4 myself, but have heard that price vs features ... (currently) AMD is the better option.

ramu
05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Ignore the fsb.

Simple aye?

And take your business to a shop that can advise you with your purchase.

Thanks to your valuable advice Metla.
ramu

ramu
05-03-2005, 05:48 PM
OK dude, either go to a shop somewhere (QMB (http://www.qmb.co.nz) are very good if you are in auckland) or listen to this.

As you may know, Sempron are pritty much like AMD's answer to Celeron.

I would definitely absolutely recommend upgrading to an AMD Athlon, or Sempron if you can't afford the Athlon... then choose a mobo to go with it.

For this I would recommend an ASUS. My A7V600 is great however, you may want to look at an A7V400-MX. Both support 266, 333, and 400Mhz RAM and have a fsb speed to match.

Good luck anyway. Just ask if you need any more help :D

Thanks Hamstar for your valuable advice.
ramu

ramu
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Ummm ...

From about the K7, or the Thunderbird Athlon, AMD have been using double speeds (i.e. 266MHz is actually 133)

By fsb I assume you mean frontside bus.
Umm... AMD have not built the NorthBridge into the Athlon last I looked, I may be wrong.

As for ramu's original post,
AMD; Pentium 4.... the choice is yours, I use Pentium 4 myself, but have heard that price vs features ... (currently) AMD is the better option.

Thanks Myth. Great.
ramu

hamstar
05-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I thought that AMD doesn't have Northbridge or Southbridge? I thort that was just a pentium thing?

Metla
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks to your valuable advice Metla.
ramu

Hmmm....looking back at it, I would say my advice was lacking enough info to be usefull.

what I was getting at is decide a CPU fits your budget and power requirments, then purchase a board to suit, If you buy through a shop that is prepared to help you buy compatible gear (and I can't imagine any that don't) then your home and hosed.

Comparing the FSB of different chips doesn't give an indicator of the performance level,None are shipped kneecapped (apart from the celeron)

ramu
06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks Metla.
Cheers
ramu