PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthreading technology chipsets

russell108
04-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Hello forum

I recently discovered that my PC had Hyperthreading dsiabled so i managed to enable it in the BIOS and it started working...only problem is when i run intels
HT tech test utility it cant identify the chipset and displays a warning triangle...also their chipset utility wont/cant identify it either...how can i put my mind at rest ? ?

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Hmm dont think it matters what chipset (well I think it has to be a P4 CPU).

And the CPU / mobo if 533 mhz fsb, the CPU has to be 3 ghz + for HT to work.

If the mobo supports 800 mhz, the CPU also has to be 800 fsb to get HT.

BUT you only need a 2.4 ghz CPU for HT to work.

What speed is this CPU, and what speed is the mobo / 400/533/800?

I take it you're using Windows 2000/XP?? Or something that does support an HT CPU??

Metla
04-03-2005, 12:17 PM
For it to work as designed to you need to install XP with HT enabled in the bios.

If XP is installed with HT disabled and then you enable it you can expect exactly what your experiencing.

Prescott
04-03-2005, 02:04 PM
reinstall windows with HT enabled

russell108
05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm no expert but here are the values i got from CPU-Z

Clocks-
CPU pentium 4 3.014 GHZ
BUS speed 803mhz
FSB 201mhz

also the chipset ive just found out is an SiS648 ,mobo by Gigabyte technology

using windows XP....i enabled HT in the BIOS. The task manager under performance, has the CPU history graph split in 2 ,which i am told means HT is enabled.......is this so ?

drcspy
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
i didn't enable HT when i installed xp .....well i dont remember anyway......and it works fine as however when you run intells utility it will give you a nasty little yellow error if youdont got INTEL chipset cause intel seem to think that the only chipset best for HT is intell well I'm running a sis648 chip on my asus P4S800 board and it's ht'd no worries........if your taskmanager performance graph is showing split screen for the cpu then you got HT enabled alright...

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm no expert but here are the values i got from CPU-Z

Clocks-
CPU pentium 4 3.014 GHZ
BUS speed 803mhz
FSB 201mhz

also the chipset ive just found out is an SiS648 ,mobo by Gigabyte technology

using windows XP....i enabled HT in the BIOS. The task manager under performance, has the CPU history graph split in 2 ,which i am told means HT is enabled.......is this so ?

Yup if it shows 2 graphs under CPU usage history, thats HT.