PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Probs

G-Boy
04-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Half the time when i use my floppy disk it works fine, But the other half it doesnt work at all, But i have noticed that the times when it wont work after i have restarted my computer, If i right click "My Computer" then click the "Proformance" tab, the white box there says "Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibilty mode file system" the rest of the time when the floopy works fine this box is just grey, with no writing in it. It just seems to change at random, Running Windows ME..IE6 Thanks for any help

EX-WESTY
04-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Floppys are obsolete!

Why you would persist with a device that has read and write errors and a limited data capacity other than to use as a boot device in the event of a startup problem is beyond me.

May I suggest you go out to the Warehouse or Dick Smith's or local pc store and purchase a USB Flash drive, capacity from 64Meg ~$25 right up to a GB or two.
They are faster, cheaper and a damn sight more capacity and your not limited to a smaller file size or having to span your file accross several disks if it is too big or having to drivespace the disk.

Do yourself a favour and move to the current century. :2cents:

Jen
04-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Have a look at this MS Knowledge Base Article - Troubleshooting Floppy Disk Drive Problems in Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131690) as it mentions your specific problem. It is for Win95/98 but 98/Me are similar.

Prescott
04-03-2005, 02:00 PM
try a different brand of floppies, mybe your floppy drive doesnt like your brand. or you could buy a new floppy drive for a few dollars.....

G-Boy
04-03-2005, 05:34 PM
try a different brand of floppies, mybe your floppy drive doesnt like your brand. or you could buy a new floppy drive for a few dollars.....

Thanks dude but

If i right click "My Computer" then click the "Proformance" tab, the white box there says "Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibilty mode file system" the rest of the time when the floopy works fine this box is just grey, with no writing in it. It just seems to change at random,

is what the problem is

G-Boy
04-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Floppys are obsolete!

Why you would persist with a device that has read and write errors and a limited data capacity other than to use as a boot device in the event of a startup problem is beyond me.

May I suggest you go out to the Warehouse or Dick Smith's or local pc store and purchase a USB Flash drive, capacity from 64Meg ~$25 right up to a GB or two.
They are faster, cheaper and a damn sight more capacity and your not limited to a smaller file size or having to span your file accross several disks if it is too big or having to drivespace the disk.

Do yourself a favour and move to the current century. :2cents:

Well i cant even use it as a boot device till i get the problem sorted now can i!

G-Boy
04-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Have a look at this MS Knowledge Base Article - Troubleshooting Floppy Disk Drive Problems in Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131690) as it mentions your specific problem. It is for Win95/98 but 98/Me are similar.

Thanks Jen :)