PDA

View Full Version : help with jetstream on a LAN

yoh2k
03-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi

I'm trying to set up a Jetstream ADSL connection in my flat connecting 4 PCs together. What different sorts of ways can I network the computers and the Internet, and which one would be the easiest (and hopefully most economical)? One of my friends said that I could connect an ADSL router to a switch, but I didn't see why you would need a switch if you're already using a router?

Many thanks in advance,
Yohanes

tweak'e
03-03-2005, 10:24 PM
your proberly thinking of adsl routers with hubs/switch built in.

for a multi pc lan you need a hub/switch (prefer a switch). a router can then plug into the switch. or you can buy a router with a built in switch (4 port being fairly comman) but if the router packs a sad you lose the whole network.

best would be router and a seperate switch.
cheapest would be internal/usb modem +switch and share the net from one pc.

Rob99
03-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Are they networked already?

Do the computers all have ethernet ports?

Have you already got the ADSL router?
Some have 4 ports on the back some dont, if you have one with only one port you will need a switch or hub.

Murray P
04-03-2005, 12:44 AM
As per above, modem/router with either a built in switch or a seperate switch. Avoid an internal or USB modem if you can, they can be more problematic to set up and maintain.

drcspy
04-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Avoid an internal or USB modem if you can, they can be more problematic to set up and maintain. ..........that's what they all say but I've not yet come across any problems with either type and i've set quite a few up.......

Murray P
04-03-2005, 08:40 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it's a no brainer especially if you want to network, but avoid two NIC's and MS ICS, save some CPU cycles, NAT and VPN and, your connection is less than perfect.

If you have a stand alone desktop PC, with a good reliable connection (close to the exchange) and you want a cheap software modem then you could consider it. I'd still use an ethernet router, I just feel more secure behind one.

tweak'e
04-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Avoid an internal or USB modem if you can, they can be more problematic to set up and maintain the only problems i find is the usb, most comman being the usb stops working or simply to may usb devices.
internals are cheap, work fine (if on good lines) and are easy to setup without the hassle of pinholeing (or NAT issues) an external adsl.

with multiable pc's its far easier to use an external adsl router connected to the lan.

gibler
04-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Ethernet Router - with built-in switch ( don't use USB it can be unreliable for long periods of time such as months) all the way.

Look at router firewall features and if you can find any some with quality of service (a.k.a. traffic shaping). I can tell you it is annoying when one user hogs all the bandwidth :eek:

scribe
04-03-2005, 11:46 PM
For simplicity get a 4port ADSL router. A good reason for this is that ISPs find it so much easier to support these rather than USB/PCI adsl modems and also any other devices like switch/hub will be unsupported by an ISP.

yoh2k
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
hmmm.... thanks for all the replies guys i will be going to a computer store to have a look around for hardware today so its been really helpful :D