PDA

View Full Version : Recording vinyl to cd

R.M.
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi all - I am going to try to do the above, and after reading other threads I think I see that I need a sound card. My system (now aging and badly needing reformatting) has onboard sound - can I do this job with this, or would I need to buy a sound card?

And if so - then what?

Thanks again, in anticipation....
:)
Cheers
R.M.

Prescott
03-03-2005, 08:11 PM
i think you maybe able to do it via usb through somesort of hardware, ive read it somewhere.....

PaulD
03-03-2005, 08:17 PM
The clicks and pops off old records will give you more grief than any noise you get from an onboard sound card. You will need an Amp with a phono input between the turntable and computer.

Robby
04-03-2005, 05:44 AM
gidday,

try a test recording may be the best at first, and see how your computer handles it.
recording through line in, needs quite a bit of computer rescourses, so before recording, turn off any programs that are running, (screensaver, antivirus etc)
and restart your computer.

try a freebie called audiograbber, this may help in the sound department, as in some cases, it uses it own recources.

to miminise clicks and scratches, pull all computer volumes down to zero, with the exception of the line in volume controll.

good luck,

Robby

R.M.
04-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Good morning all!

Thank you for your helpful replies.

I am understanding that I can do this project with 'on board' sound, that I don't need to go out and buy a sound card? :help:

Thanks again in anticipation!
R.M.

Mary
04-03-2005, 08:25 AM
this might help:
From vinyl to CD (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/UNID/E535DD88E49406FDCC256D18007B563F)

In the latest FFWD they reviewed a piece of hardware that is designed specifically for recording vinyl to disk/cd, it sounded pretty promising. If Bruce sees this he might know what its like.
FFWD don't put content online, but probably worth having a flip through the mag - its the latest one with the guy in cricket gear on the cover.

R.M.
04-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Mary - thanks for that.

Cheers
R.M.