PDA

View Full Version : Exporting MS Access "Reports"

somebody
03-03-2005, 06:49 PM
I have created a database with multiple text fields (in Memo mode), and have created a form and table to run it. The data can vary in length from only a few characters, to lengthy paragraphs. I have also created a "Report" of the data which i have collated (which works fine), but when I "export" it to an RTF or a TXT file, it seems to "lose" a few pages here and there, and put text into weird places. The report displays perfectly in Access, with everything where it's supposed to be.

The problem I think is that one of the text boxes spans across two pages in the report (in Access) in order to display all the text. In saying that, the exported report contains the text from the previous page correctly, plus the first line of the text from the following page, and throws some of the rest down the bottom of the page (overlapping other text), and simply "loses" other bits.

I have tried re-creating reports, altering the properties of the fields etc. with no luck. I must stress that the report displays fine in Access, and the problems only crop up when I export it.

Any ideas? I have created the database in Access XP, and also tried doing the report etc. in Access 2k, with no luck. And if for some strange reason people need to know, I run WinXP SP2, on a high-end P4 machine.

Parry
03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Text files tend to remove all formatting so thats probably the problem. You could save as a snapshot which retains the view or try an HTML format.

somebody
04-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks Parry.

I have tried all formats - RTF, txt, html, xml, excel (except snapshot), and they all have the same problem. The problem is that I have to submit this report in a .doc file, so I need to get to a format which I can then turn into .doc.

It seems to have the same error with any group of text which spans across two pages in a report, where it loses everything past the first line, and throws it down the page so it overlaps any other text which happens to be there.

Parry
04-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi again, its a bit difficult without seeing it. You are welcome to send me the database if you like and I will see what I can do but it would not be for a couple of days. You would need to reduce the size to a reasonable level (say < 2MB) by deleting some records and replace any confidential info such as customer names and addresses etc with ficticious details. I'll send you a PM with my email address details.

It would also be helpful to understand what your underlying requirement is. For example, your copying to a document so you can easily distribute it to people or is there some other goal?

14_with_black_bean_sauce
10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
The problem I think is that one of the text boxes spans across two pages in the report (in Access) in order to display all the text.
Try this : fit the field inside the margin and set the 'can grow' property to 'yes', so that the report is only 1 page wide.