PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DVR-109 Trouble

Themea
03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, im new to this forum but it seems helpful

I recently purchased a Pioneer DVR-109 from eoneonline.co.nz and its a great drive,

However the only way ive been able to run it is on the ide ribbon by itself, i also hav a samsung cd writer but i cant seem to get them to go on the same cable.
Its really anoyying me cause id prefer to have them both installed.
(If i have them on the same ribbon, set the dvd writer to master and the samsung cd writer to slave i cant burn anything with either)

Ive read that an 80 wire IDE ribbon is needed to burn dvd's at 12-16x which the DVR-109 is cabable of, could this cable also be needed to run both drives on the same cable?

Any help would be great.

Cheers!!!

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2005, 04:36 PM
An 80 wire IDE cable might help.

The media you buy to record to, can depend on how fast it burns video/audio to DVD as well. Are you using 12-16x media (blank DVD's). The speed of your system and how much ram you help may help as well.

I take it, you configured both in the BIOS? As Master and slave as well?

And put both burners on the secondary ide connection?

So, the BIOS detects both when u boot Windows up.

And what program/s are you using to burn to DVD?

Themea
03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Oh i didnt do them in BIOS, i learned that stuff about 7 years ago and completely forgot, ill try it now, wat do you mean by the secondary IDE connection? Put them both on slave or both on cable select?

Cheers for this!!!

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
NO! DON'T put both as slave.

Put one as Master and one as Slave. With the jumpers on the back of the cd and dvd.

Secondary IDE - There's 2 IDE connections on the motherboard. Ones primary which is where the IDE hard connection usually plugs into.

The other is secondary, which is where u plug cds and dvds into.

And then u go into the BIOS and have to do the same there. Find the secondary ide option and put it on AUTO. So the CD and DVD will work. Then save the BIOS settings ad reboot.

Themea
03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
I put them both on cable select and their working fine as far as i know, what are the cons of sable select? in the dell manual it sed to do this when installing a second cd/dvd drive.

Also it read 'Pioneer DVR-109' in BIOS, but for secondary it just sed unknown drive for the samsung :S, but its all good iguess its working!!!

Thats great thanks alot speedy!

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Not many systems use cable select. I think the diff is the way the ide cable is connected, it'll use that device more. As u found out. It says unknown device.

For the other cd.

PaulD
03-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Secondary IDE - There's 2 IDE connections on the motherboard. Ones primary which is where the IDE hard connection usually plugs into.

The other is secondary, which is where u plug cds and dvds into.

Speedy, why do you think that CD and DVD can only go on the secondary IDE?

Jen
03-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Speedy, why do you think that CD and DVD can only go on the secondary IDE?Isn't it because of possible data transfer bottlenecks when you are burning CD/DVD's if the writer device is located on the same Master cable as the hard drive you are sourcing the data from? This is why I understood it is better to have the CD/DVD devices on the Secondary IDE cable.

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Well unless u have a PCI card, or use SATA, then u can use the primary for cds or dvd.

If not, then its not a good idea to have a cd or dvd on the same ide connection as a hdd on the primary connection.

I didnt say u have to, BUT if u wanna have probs go for it.

Myth
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Well unless u have a PCI card, or use SATA, then u can use the primary for cds or dvd.

If not, then its not a good idea to have a cd or dvd on the same ide connection as a hdd on the primary connection.

Speedy is correct, I've had those probs in the past

PaulD
03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Problems are possible but not inevitable. You can mix optical and hard drives.

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Well maybe cds not burners. Try it for yourself Paul and find out.

Rob99
03-03-2005, 10:46 PM
I go along with Speedy.

With cable select, the drive on the end will be master and the drive half way along will be slave.