PDA

View Full Version : FC3 edit bootloader

sam m
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi,
After installing FC3 dual booting with XP all was working fine (thanks to advice from Jen on another thread). Really impressed with FC3 until I installed up2date kernel.

I had set comp to boot to XP default (for family use) but after installing latest kernel it has changed the boot sequence and I cant work out how to set XP as default.

Many hours searching I have gotten this info which I have been told I need to edit but I am not sure how. I read if I enter (as root) gedit /grub/grub.conf I get this:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,4)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.766_FC3)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.766_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.766_FC3.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

other = XP

Am I going to make a change here? If so, how?

thanks
sam m

Sam I Am
03-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Try

applications >system settings > bootloader

sam m
03-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Try

applications >system settings > bootloader

Dont have one of those

Jen
03-03-2005, 11:11 AM
The easiest way of doing this for you, would be to run system-config-boot (go ALT-F2 and enter it in). Just select your preferred OS.

The way of editing the grub.conf directly with a text editor, would be to change this line:

default=0

You count down the number of Title entries, and change the default number to the Title entry you wish to be default. Just to be confusing, the very top Title entry is always 0 :p. In the case of your grub.conf, you would change it to this for Windows (Title Other):

default=2

You can change the Title of "Other" to WinXP or Windows if you prefer that. :)

Jen
03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh, while I am at it Sam, you should really take a look at this FC3 setup guide for putting the final polishing touches on your installation. Fedora Core 3 Installation Notes (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/stanton_finley/fc3_note/). Just scroll past all the installation part, and look at setting up Yum and Apt-get/Synaptic. I use Synaptic all time, both for getting all my System Updates that up2date provide, and for finding/installing new applications that take my fancy :D

The sections on Java, TTF's, flash etc are working reading as well. :)

Enjoy Fedora Core 3!