PDA

View Full Version : My Network Places empty on 'host'.

sal
03-03-2005, 12:09 AM
We recently got a new (second hand) computer and decided to share the internet connection between the two. I'd never done this before so had a quick look on the net, found out I only needed a cross over cable and an extra network card for the main computer (it already had one, but it was being used by the adsl modem).

I done "Set up home or small office network" from the Network Connections side panel, and it all worked out fine. But the new computer in the room isn't always being used so when it goes into Standby, the network connection drops. After that, there was'nt any folders in the 'My Network Places' on the main computer. Refresh doesn't work.

A couple of other things:

2) With the new computer came a wireless keyboard/mouse sans batteries. We used some batteries from misc remotes, but they went flat after a couple of days. Bought some new batteries but the keyboard doesnt work anymore. I thought maybe it got out of synch with the receiver? Sometime the computer turns on ok, sometimes it returns "keyboard error" on bootup.

3) Whats bridge mode, on both the network connections and the adsl modem (dlink 302g). Is it set up the best way considering the internet connection?

Both computers run WinXP Pro.

Jen
03-03-2005, 07:38 AM
We recently got a new (second hand) computer and decided to share the internet connection between the two. I'd never done this before so had a quick look on the net, found out I only needed a cross over cable and an extra network card for the main computer (it already had one, but it was being used by the adsl modem).Hi sal
From your setup description, you are using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) between the two computers, which means one PC's internet access is dependent upon the gateway PC being powered on. Normally the PC physically attached to the modem is the gateway of the ICS but you might of set the 2nd PC to be this. Take a look at your settings.

I see your modem/router has a USB and a ethernet connection. If you connect the new PC onto the USB option of the modem, and leave the main PC on the ethernet connection then both PC's can access the internet indpendently of each other without using ICS at all. See diagram example ( http://www.dlink.com.au/products/broadband/dsl302g/dsl302g_diagram.htm). You should also be able to use the router as middleman for filesharing between both computers without having to use the cross-over cable at all.

2) With the new computer came a wireless keyboard/mouse sans batteries. We used some batteries from misc remotes, but they went flat after a couple of days. Bought some new batteries but the keyboard doesnt work anymore. I thought maybe it got out of synch with the receiver? Sometime the computer turns on ok, sometimes it returns "keyboard error" on bootup.The wireless transmitter should have a reset button underneath it, give that a whirl.

3) Whats bridge mode, on both the network connections and the adsl modem (dlink 302g). Is it set up the best way considering the internet connection?See my comments above with having both PC's connected directly to the modem/router. :)