PDA

View Full Version : usb fm transmitter

ptopz
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I recently bought a USB FM transmitter for my PC which works great.
Trouble is, the PC (Win2k) recognises it as the sound card, and disables the inbuilt sound card, which means that while my music is being happily beamed to the stereo, I cant hear it at the pc.
Is there any means by which I can have this thing transmit, but still have the PC sound card work as well?

Thanks

Murray P
02-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Blimmin buisy body OS's for you, is SP4 installed?

All I can think of is, look in Device manager and see if the USB tuner is being allocated the same resources as the sound card and therefore conficting with it. It's a long shot because I don't think a USB device would get anywhere near having a resource conflict with a PCI/onboard device.

Murray P
02-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Go here (http://www.usbman.com/Win2000.htm) and scroll down to BIOS Compatibilty, ACPI and IRQ resource handling topics, perhaps I wasn't too far off the mark after all.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Agreed Murray. USB devices dont have IRQ's or resources.

(BUT USB controllers have a resources tab).

So, wont conflict with anything thats onboard.

Thats whats good about USB devices.

godfather
03-03-2005, 12:02 AM
All that's likely to have happened is that the USB sound device has been set as the default one under Control Panel - Sounds.

Select to one you want in there.

Works for me.

Murray P
03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Agreed Murray. USB devices dont have IRQ's or resources.

(BUT USB controllers have a resources tab).

So, wont conflict with anything thats onboard.

Thats whats good about USB devices.

Yeah, but I had afeeling something fishy can happen in certain circumstances, not sure what though. This from USB Man:

"ACPI may NOT be compatible with your hardware.

ACPI automatically installs if your system BIOS date is 1-1-1999.

ACPI was specifically developed for Portable Computers that require sophisticated power management to conserve battery power. Desktop computers do NOT require ACPI and often perform better in APM mode. APM mode allows the user greater control over IRQ assignments, ACPI does not."

It goes on to discuss USB, ACPI and IRQ handling.

Try Goddies advice before mucking around with anything else, he sometimes manages to fluke the odd one ;)

ptopz
03-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Thank you all. I dont think its a conflict, more that the PC recognises the transmitter as the primary sounc card and ignores the other one.
I want them both to work simultaneously, but fear it may not be possible.

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2005, 06:13 PM
There are operating systems that can use sound cards simultaneously.

Windows isnt one of them. So, yup, I think its one or the other. NOT both.

For sound.