View Full Version : online scan problem

Morgenmuffel
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
win2k
IE 6
Firefox 1
Grumpy User
pc-cillin 2002

I went to trend micros housecall online scan thingimie hoojib, and clicked on ti to use, told me only IE was supported, so fired up IE went back tried it again, was promptly told that only english IE or chinese standard were supported clicked the ok button and was dropped out.

Now my IE is english I am fairly sure, well everything is in english (I think I would notice if it wasn't), so what is likely to be causing this problem

tried disabling my av thinking this may be to blame but made sfa difference

Thanks all

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Is IE still the default browser?? Or did you make firefox the default browser??

That maybe one reason. If you made firefox the default browser, change it back to IE.

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Have you got ActiveX disabled in Internet Explorer? I am fairly sure it is required to do online scans.

Morgenmuffel
02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
I have set IE as the default browser, but that has made no difference

as for the activeX thingie, pretty sure it's not disabled (otherwise windows update wouldn't work would it?), but I can't seem to find where to check this

Thanks

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
as for the activeX thingie, pretty sure it's not disabled (otherwise windows update wouldn't work would it?), but I can't seem to find where to check this
It is probably enabled then but to check, in IE go to Tools>Options>Security>Internet>Custom Level.

Murray P
02-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Your right, of course Foxy, House Call (and most other online scans like it) require IE and ActiveX, which is really very forward thinking of them considering the malware that those two together attract like flies.

Not even using another browser in IE identity mode will do it because no one else uses ActiveX. It could be time to persuade these websites to provide the necessaries for other browsers to work.

BTW, If the changes to IE don't work, check if your firewall be set to block ActiveX controlls?