PDA

View Full Version : B@!$%^& !!! Nero

drcspy
02-03-2005, 02:41 PM
bloody nero
wont seem to let me 'multisession' with audio cd......is there a way ?...or failing that is there another FREE cdwriting prog which will allow me to copy music from a several cd's onto a blank but later add more ?

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Nero wasnt made to be multisession for MP3's. Only data files.

As it and most program once u add, and then burn the MP3's to CD, it will finalise the CD. Not much you can do about it, with MP3 files.

Powerslave
02-03-2005, 02:59 PM
MP3's are data,they can be multi-sessioned all the way to japan and back.

drcspy, you could rip or convert the tracks to wav and burn then as data multi-session, no garentee though that it would work in a stand alone cd player after you added more tracks.

drcspy
02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
yeh mp3 would be not a problem at all.........however I'm wanting to drag'n'drop files from an audio cd to nero then later add more...................well....actually it's someone else who wants to do this and I thought I had done it long ago but couldn't remember if I had..........tried it ......didnt work.......cant be done ???? (simply)

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Well no MP3s arent data. Data is exe files / programs / install exe files u download from the net.

There's a difference. And most burning programs would know the difference between the 2.

godfather
02-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Of course MP3 files are just data.
And you can fit about 150 of them on a CD.

But if you are copying them to an Audio CD, then they will be converted by Nero to CDA files, when only about 12 will fit on the CD.
Then they are not "data" as such.

But in this case you are copying CDA files by the sound of it, ripped from an Audio CD?
Not aware that many/any CD players would be able to handle multisession CDA playback, so perhaps it is not supported for good reason?

mister harbies
02-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Well no MP3s arent data. Data is exe files / programs / install exe files u download from the net.

There's a difference. And most burning programs would know the difference between the 2.

Im sorry to say, but you are wrong. Whatever can be used on a computer, whether through a CD, DVD, floppy or whatever else is using data.

Data is 10010111010 and so on. Computers need the binary code to work, so if you say audio cds do not use data, what the hell does it use then? "Jimmy Pop is a dumb white guy" in plain english, I think not. It is data. :badpc:

drcspy
02-03-2005, 03:59 PM
yes yes yes data .....well of course anything on a computer is in binary and as such data.......anyway..........godfather.....thanks you reckon that it's because the players cant support multisession playback... ?........oh well k.....hmmmm

vinref
02-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Of course MP3 files are just data.
And you can fit about 150 of them on a CD.

But if you are copying them to an Audio CD, then they will be converted by Nero to CDA files, when only about 12 will fit on the CD.
Then they are not "data" as such.

But in this case you are copying CDA files by the sound of it, ripped from an Audio CD?
Not aware that many/any CD players would be able to handle multisession CDA playback, so perhaps it is not supported for good reason?

I am not aware of any CD readers that can read an mp3-audio CD, without it being "closed". Once the CD is closed, you can no longer add to it. Whilst it is open in multisession mode and you are adding to it, it cannot be read because it is not closed. The only way to add to a closed CD is to blank and re-burn it with the original content plus the additions. Therefore you should burn all mp3-audio CDs as DAO (disk at once) to avoid the 2-second gap, and then blank and reburn if you want to add more.

By the way, there is a difference between "data" and "audio". Data CDs must have a filesystem image, audio CDs do not. So you can only burn data as an "iso9660" etc, but audio can be burned on just as it is.

Got my self a CD-burner just the other day, and from light reading this is what I understand of it. I hope it is correct.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Well whatever u say MP3s are data just to make u happy. Burning programs think otherwise.

BUT you wont get any program which will do multisession MP3 CD's. Either add all the MP3's at the same time and then burn, or dont burn. End of story.

And yer I know MP3's can be burned to CD, as is, or converted to CDA format, just as long as u have a stereo or something that can play MP3 CD's

I have a cd that plays MP3 CD's here.

vinref
02-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Burning programs think otherwise.

Nope - it's the OS/device that attempts to read to CD. An OS cannot mount/recognise data unless it is formatted in a file-system it recognises. Devices such as mp3 players will not play/misread CDs that do not contain mp3 data.

But you can burn anything you like to a CD.

Lohsing
02-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to use CD-RW and when you want to add more to the session, simply erase the existing compilation and add more to the project and reburn?

Lo.

Edward
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Both my DVD player and my parent's CD player can play MP3s. As can my Playstation and (to the best of my knowledge) the car CD player

Powerslave
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Should we all repeat it again?

mp3=data.

When you author an audio cd with nero it merely converts it to a complaint wave file, which is still data, It doesn't make cda such as whats on a commerceil cd.

When you burn an mp3 disk you burn as data, when you burn an audio it burns it as wav, still data, but uncompressed.

To the thread starter, rip the songs as a wav, burn as data.

I can't imagine it working if your trying to drag a cda file off a disc (cda is not the actuall file,just what represents it)

Edward
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Lohsing: I think you'll find CD players are mostly very choosy as to what media (CD, CD-R & CD-RW) they'll play _

BingBong
02-03-2005, 04:21 PM
As a summary of what people have said above and from my experience (I use Nero myself), If you are burning a CD as data you can use multisession to add mp3s and this will play fine on mp3 players but if you burn the disk as "audio" then it converts the mp3s into wav/cda whatever and you have to finalise the disk in order for it to play on normal CD players.

So if you want to use this disk on a normal CD player (which doesn't have mp3 capability) you need to burn as audio and therefore can not multisession, but if your CD player does have mp3 capability then you would burn the disk as a data disk and then you can multisession it.

drcspy
02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Powerslave thanks when you say "To the thread starter, rip the songs as a wav, burn as data." are you telling me that if that's done they'll play in any cd player.........car stereo/walkman etc ? ........sorry I cant test this myself cause the only cd player I have is my pc :-)

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Nope - it's the OS/device that attempts to read to CD. An OS cannot mount/recognise data unless it is formatted in a file-system it recognises. Devices such as mp3 players will not play/misread CDs that do not contain mp3 data.

But you can burn anything you like to a CD.

I know u can burn anything to CD. It wouldnt be worth having a burner if u couldnt would it. I didnt say it couldnt.

Fomatting a cd has nothing to do with it, as Mp3's and Audio cds dont need formatting to write to Vinref. Once u add whatever it burns to the cd as is.

Well no it isnt the OS that decides, but u need the OS for Nero to work dont u?? Without a OS u have nothing. U have a blank screen. A dead computer system.

Where did the Mp3 player into this?? Was it passing by and just dropped into the convo? I was talking about a cd player that plays MP3 cd's.

Go back to bed Vinref.

Powerslave
02-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Powerslave thanks when you say "To the thread starter, rip the songs as a wav, burn as data." are you telling me that if that's done they'll play in any cd player.........car stereo/walkman etc ? ........sorry I cant test this myself cause the only cd player I have is my pc :-)

Gimmie 10 minutes,im burning off a couple cd's to make sure I don't send ya down the wrong track.

drcspy
02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Awsome ......thank you for trying !!!

vinref
02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I know u can burn anything to CD. It wouldnt be worth having a burner if u couldnt would it. I didnt say it couldnt.

Fomatting a cd has nothing to do with it, as Mp3's and Audio cds dont need formatting to write to Vinref. Once u add whatever it burns to the cd as is.

Well no it isnt the OS that decides, but u need the OS for Nero to work dont u?? Without a OS u have nothing. U have a blank screen. A dead computer system.

Where did the Mp3 player into this?? Was it passing by and just dropped into the convo? I was talking about a cd player that plays MP3 cd's.

Go back to bed Vinref.

Take it easy dude. Sorry to annoy you.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 04:46 PM
No worries Vinref.

MP3's can either be burned as MP3s (no conversion needed, it burns MP3's as MP3's to the CD), BUT u need a CD player (if external,), that can read MP3 in order to play it. And you get more songs on it (about 200 + or so)

Which AREN'T the same as normal CDS (CDA format).

Or CDA format which converts the MP3, so ANY CD player will play the CD.

If you do an AUDIO cd, then yup any cd will play it. And no u cant just drag a CDA file, from a CD to somewhere else and expect it to work. It wont.

You can even burn WMA files, if u have a stereo or something that supports WMA format in Nero. (which I think is smaller than MP3).

And u dont format CD's if you're doing an MP3 CD. or Audio CD.

It doesn't work that way.

It burns the Mp3's to CD, as soon as u add files to the cd and burn.

Powerslave
02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Awsome ......thank you for trying !!!

Fraid i was wrong, Nero does indeed author them into cda.

Next mission is to convert some mp3's into wav files,burn em and see if they play on my cd player.

Which now apears highly unlikely.

drcspy
02-03-2005, 04:50 PM
ok well I knew that nero would turn wav files into .cda if burnt as 'audio' .........so it does it when burning as 'data' too huh....are they still playable on your stereo or car cd then I guess they are ?........and also does this mean then that as they are on the cd as .cda you cant add later, (multisession) despite ticking the multisession option ?....

Powerslave
02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Nope, I burnt as audio to see if they were infact as you say authored into cda.Granted you knew this before hand but I was under a different impression.

Now im going to burn wav as an unathoried data cd.

drcspy
02-03-2005, 04:59 PM
you a legend mate.......

Cicero
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Fraid i was wrong, Nero does indeed author them into cda.

Next mission is to convert some mp3's into wav files,burn em and see if they play on my cd player.

Which now apears highly unlikely.
Thanks chaps,all very exciting,didn't understand a word but still entertained.

mister harbies
02-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Wow,

Piracy in action? :eek: For the world to see!!!

drcspy
02-03-2005, 05:15 PM
lol bottom line is to rip, (save) some songs from a cd or two then write them onto another cd in some format that will allow both playing on ANY cd player, (car/stereo etc) yet also allow adding to the cd later.......

drcspy
02-03-2005, 05:16 PM
gawd...........might not be piracey might be my own musical creations ;-) ....

Powerslave
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Nope, failed to work.

drcspy
02-03-2005, 05:26 PM
hm............well ..........thank you all for your time particularly powerslave for using up some cd's in search of the 'truth'......

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 05:32 PM
So, I take it noone could prove I was wrong? :D

|llus|oN
02-03-2005, 05:32 PM
lol bottom line is to rip, (save) some songs from a cd or two then write them onto another cd in some format that will allow both playing on ANY cd player, (car/stereo etc) yet also allow adding to the cd later.......
Sorry but from what I have seen, and tried, it just aint gonna happen. Ya see audio cd's dont just have the songs on em but to play in say a car cd player they also have an 'index file' incorporated into each cda file as it's burnt. So when ya burn the cd it is automatically 'finalised' so-to-speak. Try adding more later and the whole index would be different. Just save the songs on yer hdd and when you have more to add burn a new disk with all of em. Not like the discs are worth much these days.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
An index file has nothing to do with a Audio cd.

Audio CD's DONT have an index file. If u burn MP3's to a CD. If u use Nero, it burns the MP3's to the cd, in the order you added them to the compilation...

And it'll play them in that order, after you've burned them to CD, and when u also play them in any other CD player.

mister harbies
02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
hm............well ..........thank you all for your time particularly powerslave for using up some cd's in search of the 'truth'......

I suspect a bill coming on the way in the mail for a few wasted cds. :o