PDA

View Full Version : PC wont gboot further than POST

chiefnz
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Ok my computer was working fine today, I played a few games of CS-Condition Zero and did some other routine stuff. Then I unistalled Yahoo messenger as it has been giving me problems. Restarted the PC and everything was fine. When it got to Windows I was asked to specify a driver for a new piece of hardware. I thought all my hardware was installed. I cancelled the "new hardware wizard" so that I could see what it had detected. All it said was "unknown device" I then removed the device from the device manager and rebooted hoping that XP would give me a better description on reboot.

Shutdown and rebooted the PC but then it froze at the POST screen and didn't go any further. I powered on and off several times but still nothing. I took my x800 card out and put the old 9600xt in the box but that didn't help either. I then cleared the CMOS... and still nothing. I removed and reseated all the cards but still nothing.

Before I cleared the CMOS the boot/POST process would stop at the line which says... Checking NVRAM OK! but it wouldnd't go further than that. I can't get into the BIOS at all no matter what I do.

Any advice will be appreciated.... my assignments for uni are on my PC and really I don't want to buy another mobo if thats what wrong.

Could it be a heat problem I'd be surprised if it was.. I have to 2 case fans (1 front blowing and 1 rear extracting plus the PSU fans extracting the air)
cheers

chiefnz

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Try a new CMOS battery.

chiefnz
02-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Well I've managed to get the PC going again. To be honest I don't know what was wrong. I have discovered that my digital camera is now stuffed. The PC booted once I unplugged the camera. The camera doesn't work (it was working this morning tho)

Go figure

Will have to keep an eye on things and see what happens.

cheers

chiefnz

pctek
03-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Very suspicious. Is your USB now working?

Prescott
03-03-2005, 07:51 PM
hopefully you can claim insurance on your digi cam

have you tested your usb somehow, is there a way to measure the voltage and see if its normal?

chiefnz
05-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Well USB works fine, all of my USB ports on the back of my case are being used and they all work fine. I have 2 in the front but I don't think they are working... (I think I haven't connected them) The funny thing is that my digital camera now works fine. I don't understand how this happened. PC boots fine and its as if nothing went wrong in the first place.

cheers

chiefnz

Prescott
05-03-2005, 08:52 AM
weird.....

beama
05-03-2005, 09:13 AM
check your Bios, look and see if usb boot is enabled it may have been trying to boot off the pictures of your last ski visit to MT Cook :D sorry to hear that your camera got damaged though

chiefnz
05-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah I was completely stumped when it all happened. I just couldn't figure it out. I tried everything I could think of as you can see from my 1st post. Just a freak occurrence really. Only problem I have is that some of my games are crashing... it started with CS-Condition Zero, but the last time I played it, the game didn't crash (I think it has something to do with STEAM) The same thing happened with Half-Life 2 when I installed it for the 1st time.

On the previous install as time wore on the problem seemed to fix itself. I haven't had HL2 crash on me yet since re-installing it. I also had a problem with LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth, that also used to crash, the game is updated with the lastest patch so I don't know what the problem is there. I kept on getting a "memory cannot be written error"

I haven't played it since the new install, I will test it and see what happens.

On the bright side the X800 XT is performing very well, AA & AF rule!!! Games look so much better. I want to install Doom 3 to see how that runs with the X800 XT.

cheers

chiefnz