PDA

View Full Version : Access Denied!?!

novice_gamer
02-03-2005, 09:49 AM
OK so i upgraded my os form xp home > XP pro but got error everytime so i had to re-reinstall but keep all info on my hdd XP Pro anyway know i cant get into non of my files (David) my name on pc is Dave... everytime i goto C:\doc&sets...David i nget access denied so i cant get nothing that i had (work,music,important crap) what to do?

i tried to make a new account called David but in c:ddoc&settings my peronal folder was renamed David.chii-1028jd87 or something... evil ntfs :annoyed:

CYaBro
02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
If you are running XP home restart in Safe Mode.
If you are running XP Pro open Windows Explorer and go to Tools - Folder Options - View tab and scroll down and untick Use Simple Filesharing.

Go to the folder you can't access and right-click and select Properties - Security tab - Advanced button. Then select your username and tick the box at the bottom 'Replace owner on sub....' and click OK.
It should then do a few things on screen and when that's finished you should be able to access the folder.

CYaBro
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Go to the folder you can't access and right-click and select Properties - Security tab - Advanced button.

Sorry! Forgot to say that you need to go to the Owner tab after you click on the advanced button.

Rob99
02-03-2005, 12:14 PM
here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech)