PDA

View Full Version : Best ADSL modem/router for gaming?

Zygar
02-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Currently I have an Allied Telesyn AR-250e, and it's useless for gaming if I want to play something like Age of Mythology or AOE2 with my friend, because it does not support forwarding a range of ports - I have to forward each port individually, meaning I can't host the game. And he's on 56k and his computer is pretty crappy, so he can't really host. To make it worse, I have to specify the external IP address each time I want to host something or use bittorrent, which is rather annoying when I have a lot of ports to redirect as I have a dynamic IP. My internet also likes to die when I ping a lot of servers in All Seeing Eye and Steam, very irritating, so I need a new router well suited for gaming.

Here is a diagram of what my network layout will be.
http://zygar.co.nz/images/misc/networkdiagram.png
Internet connects to modem/router which is hooked into a gigabit switch. Gigabit switch sends data signals across the house over CAT6 cable (it's in the walls, and we have network ports.) It's probably about 30-40m to the computers from where the router/modem and the switch will be. I presume the switch will boost signals so I don't have to worry about packet loss over longish distances caused by the router.

Requirements:
-Number of ports is not important, I will be connecting to gigabit switch.
-Does not have to be a gigabit router, I only have 2mbit internet anyway. I want good latencies though, are routers a factor in ping online?
-Will be used for gaming, so decent performance is a must.
-Needs ability to open a range of ports, rather than forcing me to open them one at a time.
-User friendly if possible. My current router hurts my brain, the interface is horrible.
-Dad wants to set up a VPN sometime so support for that would be useful.
-Check out step 5. Having a router with features like this would be awesome, so I'm leaning towards D-Link right now. It is not neccessary though. (http://www.portforward.com/dlink/dsl-g604t-portforwarding.htm)
-Needs built in modem (duh - but a lot of "broadband routers" I see have no integrated modem.)
-Not wireless. Stone walls in my house would soak up the signal and I don't like wireless anyway.
-Decent support and documentation, stable. This router kept crashing until I got a firmware upgrade, which took a week to find because of the crappy sites.

I think thats about it. I also don't want to have to delve into a whole heap of settings just to join a game either, this current one forwards traffic on all ports I've requested, so at least I didn't need to change any settings to join a game of UT2004. I understand that I'll have to open ports etc if I want to be a server for anything though.

So, are there any modems/routers, that are available in New Zealand, that fit my needs? Thanks in advance.

berryb
02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
If you get a modem/router with UPnP then it will open the ports you require without your input. D-Link, Dynalink, Linksys etc all have modem/router combinations that have UPnP that can be enabled or disabled.

Ash M
02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
If you get a modem/router with UPnP then it will open the ports you require without your input. D-Link, Dynalink, Linksys etc all have modem/router combinations that have UPnP that can be enabled or disabled.

Correct. I recommend the Billion 7100. Perfect for me and all the gaming I do.

Zygar
03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks for your help. I've recieved multiple recommendations (on other forums that I've asked this on) that I get a Linksys router, so I'm going to either get the WAG54G and disable wireless, or the AG041 which appears to be the WAG54G except without wifi.

Just a few questions for anyone who has the router.
1) is it stable? this one crashed constantly before I got a firmware upgrade, but now it's as stable as a rock. I don't want to downgrade in that regard.
2) is it true that you can only have 10 port forwards set up at the same time? Not that I'm concerned or anything, I'm not going to be using more than that anyway, I'm just curious.
3) does it have the issue in steam and all seeing eye i mentioned with my internet randomly dying on me?
4) in regards to online gaming, is it pretty much plug and play or do I have to set up forwarding/triggering etc for that? I won't be using the firewall, I have a software one installed to catch anything which gets past NAT anyway, but with this one I can join any online game and play, and it'll automatically forward the requested packets? On the one I have now, I didn't have to configure anything to game, I just connect to a server and the router seems to do the rest.

berryb
04-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I have the WAG54G with firewall enabled.

Stable - Mine is never turned off, sometimes has to be restarted due to wireless dropping off but no problem with ADSL.

Have 15 single port forwards, 10 port range forwarding and 10 port triggering.

My son plays different games, Halo, Unreal Tournament etc on either desktop or laptop and I have never had to setup port forwarding. The only port I have opened is 3389 for remote desktop.

Zygar
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Excellent. I'll get it ASAP. Thanks.