PDA

View Full Version : Winoldap

TDKER
02-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Can any help with a win98se winoldap error getting when try to run old dos program which i must run for my job... xp not an option as won't run there either wants emm mem to load

Jen
02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1

Can you please post the complete message that you received with the winoldap error. At what point does this message appear; as soon as you try to start the program? Has this just started to happen, or is this the first time you have used that program on your Win98SE machine?

TDKER
08-03-2005, 07:40 AM
sorry having trouble with my internet connection...first time to get back on in awhile
anyways i have to rig up the computer and get all the info you need...but i can tell you that the dos program runs and works ok until i exit then it says winolap error and totaly locks up the computer forceing a reboot...after a few reboots it seems to kill win98se and i have to reinstall it again...so thats what i'm doing now reinstalling...also the dos program i'm running needs ems and i forgot the line i had in my config i think it was device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram I=B000-B7FF
not sure..so whats a good line to turn on emm386?
thanks for any help Jen :)

Jen
08-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Having the further information will be helpful for others to assist you with this.

Seeing as I have little experience with DOS programs, hopefully another experienced DOS user here can point you in the right direction for a solution. :)

Goodluck

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2005, 09:08 PM
sorry having trouble with my internet connection...first time to get back on in awhile
anyways i have to rig up the computer and get all the info you need...but i can tell you that the dos program runs and works ok until i exit then it says winolap error and totaly locks up the computer forceing a reboot...after a few reboots it seems to kill win98se and i have to reinstall it again...so thats what i'm doing now reinstalling...also the dos program i'm running needs ems and i forgot the line i had in my config i think it was device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram I=B000-B7FF
not sure..so whats a good line to turn on emm386?
thanks for any help Jen :)

Try this MS site

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=78557

TDKER
11-03-2005, 07:26 PM
ok got computer back up n running same darn thing...winoldap error locks computer up forceing reset...changed monitor to cdrrect drivers this program was working before without a hitch whats up?

WINOLDAP cause an invalid page fault in module (unknown) at
0000:928c66ac and a bunch of other stuff.

Another person told me to do this:
"The WinOldApps are the DOS boxes your DOS apps use under Windows, change
your Shell call to the DOS apps to

Shell Environ("comspec") & " /c" & " " & <your normal command line> "

anyone know what this kind dude is tellinig me? or explain in easier terms what he wants me to do thanks all
TDKER

TDKER
12-03-2005, 05:40 AM
:( is there no one dos expert out there?

FoxyMX
12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
:( is there no one dos expert out there?
Yes, there are at least three DOS experts on this forum so either they have not yet seen your thread or they do not have an answer.

Keep bumping your thread up the page around mid-afternoon and hopefully one of them will see it and have something to say.

TDKER
15-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Yes, there are at least three DOS experts on this forum so either they have not yet seen your thread or they do not have an answer.

Keep bumping your thread up the page around mid-afternoon and hopefully one of them will see it and have something to say.

Great to hear there is still some smart dos peeps outthere! can any of you help me out tks
TDKER

MMM
15-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I have very little knowledge of Dos, but did a google using "run Dos" without the quotes. Read the following article which is a question/answer on Dos on Win98. 2nd paragraph gives a way of doing it which might help.

Try this link:
here (http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?siteid=7&sectiontypeid=6&subsectionid=718&subsubsectionid=566&pagetypeid=4&articleid=7114&page=1)

Anything is worth a try.

Metla
15-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Have you tried booting into dos and running the program?

If its real old or Windows wasn't taken into consideration when it was coded then there is no reason to believe it will run correctly within Windows.

Graham L
15-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes, it's simplest by far to boot and run in DOS. You might need to make a CONFIG.SYS and an AUTOEXEC.BAT to get the EMM386 set up properly. Depending on the version of DOS that W98 runs under you might be able to us MEMMAKER and get that done automatically. ;)

TDKER
16-03-2005, 03:57 AM
running win98se full version
ok booting into dos is not an option,,need to alt tab back too windows to run other programs...this program did run before...then it started getting the winoldap error..so reinstalled win98 and couldn't get emm386 to load so i need a good line in config to get it too work...ok i tried this:"device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 512 frame=d000" and got the error "Option Rom or Ram detected within page frame"
now windows still boots up and the dos program runs but get the winoldap error and locks the computer..forces reboot.
i did get a person to give some help and he said:
and thats when i asked what is he telling me do do...not sure something with changeing the shell call???

TDKER
17-03-2005, 09:33 AM
comeon theres got to be a smart dos guru somewhere!
please..n..thankyou :thumbs:

godfather
17-03-2005, 10:37 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/MANUALS/COMMANDS/E/EMM386EX.HTM

Why do you need to specify the page frame etc?
Is the program so very specific that it will not run with EMM defaults?

scribbs
17-03-2005, 10:45 AM
The best answer would be to get VMware Workstation ($189) or Microsoft's Virtual PC ($129) and run a REAL copy of DOS on your XP workstation. It's simple and both have at least free 30 day download trials online. If that's too much money, the application may not important enough to fool with!

Shane Cribbs
http://www.southsolutions.com

TDKER
17-03-2005, 11:32 AM
thanks for your replys
ok no worries about ems got it going...want to get rid of winoldap error that locks computer now.
still in the dark as to what this guy is telling me to do..do u know?