PDA

View Full Version : deleted emails, not read, before reaching Eudora.

beetle
01-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Ok this is finally ticked me off no end, am losing emails, between the mailwasher bit and Eudora,

mailwasher beeps new mail, ok so process,
Eudora beeps to say new mail, so open it nothing there?
Mailwasher says no mail there now?

where the heck does it go?????

i have no idea how many emails i lose, but this is serious as its usually work mail that gets lost???? how many could i be missing?
is it Eudora? or mailwasher stuffing up?
I dont have bounce option available in mailwasher and if friend mail is ticked it shouldnt automatically delete should it?????????

sometimes i preread it in mailwasher but more often than not i dont....:(
like before.......lost forever, know who its from dunno what he said...:(

grrrrh machines.

any ideas, or help or hammer...(no not really peach is lovely...:p )
how can i fix this thing?

beetle

godfather
01-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Do yourself a free favour beetle.

Open a Gmail account.
On your normal work email account, set up the options (on the ISP webmail page) to "forward and keep a copy", and set the Gmail address as the target for the forwarded copy.

Then your work email still works as normal, but a copy of every work email gets instantly forwarded to Gmail, as a backup copy in case you "lose" your copy.

1 GB of Gmail storage takes a while to fill up, it's a free offsite store that you can access and view whenever you need to. Cheap too.

Is Eudora putting it in the "junk" folder perhaps?

Greg
01-03-2005, 10:24 PM
It sounds like nothing worse than incorrectly configured settings. But impossible to advise properly without complete info on exactly each option you've configured

beetle
01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Most of them get thro though? so where do the rest go???

works fine the rest of the time......

and smileys arent working again......

godfather
01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Have you checked the Junk folder? (Assuming you have one with the version of Eudora you are running?)

If the PC generating the email has the date and time set wrongly, they will be in the order Eudora thinks they were sent, could be ... way .... up the list?

beetle
01-03-2005, 10:58 PM
junk folder empty.......

nothing ever goes into it....????/ever.

got no emails incoming at all now.......... going to check i fi get another email from me...:p

2 outa 3 get throu......???????

TonyF
01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I am puzzled with Beetle's Mailwasher problem. Raceway seems to be using Xtra, which I believe is in the Brightmail spam filtering system ( like my Paradise) and which ought to let little through. OE has the ability to set message rules to steer stuff into folders incl "junk" or something, and from something from GF it seems that Eudora can do this. Question - why need Mailwasher? I get only one or two spams a day now that Brightmail does its stuff, and I have a few things which I put straight through to Delete under OE rules.
Does Beetle need a springclean of her arrangements without setting up G Mail ??
Vheers all Tony

beetle
01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
I get up to 60 emails a day, mostly spam...... some work and some play...:p

but worries me that along the line i have been missing emails....and not realising it.

out of 3 emails i sent myself i now have 8???????? somehow picking up 2 of each and another?

wondering if i should go back and cull every setting and satrt afresh, and AVG has not been real good lately and with all these glitches, Eudora not so rosy,....but better than OE...
I havent changed any details since installing Eudora, have a gamil account and its forwarded to my main perssonal one anyway......

always happens when i have the least amount of time and patience to spend on finding a fix.....

grrrh, wonder what id did to tick it into action this time....always operator trouble.

b

beetle
01-03-2005, 11:33 PM
email sent from personal addyvia gmail > sent 11.16pm, arrived 11.23 pm...........

email sent via personal ady at same time, same email> arrived 11.16pm.
so its working just not all the time? its getting snaffed up with AVG, cause's it to thro a hissy, locks up and says error.....
anyway off to bed, no new email incoming from the man, so no idea what he said, did or otherwise.....

spot ya whenever.
oooh its beeped...
bah, it wont leave a message on the server, keeps deleting them....

what a wicked web we weave,

i have or can never get something to work all the time correctly.....that electrifying personality just does to much damage....:D

b

beetle
01-03-2005, 11:48 PM
last word..............

found it.....
did a major search defined by one word,

email is here,sent at some hour tonight, but says sent on 23 rd of 2nd 05.....and on email itself says sent 12.18am????
so who's clock is out?

one thing i do not like about eudora is it does not highlight unread mail....they all look the same, how or where do i change that?????

sigh.....found it in the jumble of a few hundred emails in the in box...not highlighted to say im here!!!!!!!!! why does it do this?

night :p

Wombat
02-03-2005, 12:01 AM
IMO use Thunderbird, it's twice as good as Eudora if not three times better. At least you get an interface that doesn't have buttons in all sorts of random places making them difficult to find.

Where's the send button again? *2mins later...* Oh there it is! It's in the third row amongst 20 other buttons with an obscure symbol to identify itself.

paulw
02-03-2005, 08:28 AM
last word..............
one thing i do not like about eudora is it does not highlight unread mail....they all look the same, how or where do i change that????? :p

?? How old is your version of Eudora.?? If you look in the Inbox you should see a large blue icon on the left that indicates unread mail. It's called the Staus column. After it is read the blue icon goes.

beetle
02-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Approximately 2 weeks old so im presuming its the latest.....

dont know. its had its chance, gone back to OE at this stage......ha...

maybe its just im not good with patience lately and anything if it isnt easy, and beetle bomb proof i havent got the time or energy to configure something....
:badpc:

LOL

beetle

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Cripes Beetle, I never have any of the hassles you manage to bring upon yourself. :groan: :D

Eudora is great but it's obviously way too sophisticated for you at the moment. From the looks of things you had Eudora set up to sort your mail by the sender's time zone and if the sender's computer's time is out (as a lot of them are) then their emails will not be where you expect to find them in your Inbox, ie way up the top or whatever.

You are obviously used to OE and Thunderbird's method of bold text indicating mail unread. As paulw says, the blue icon to the left of the subject header indicates new mail not read and if you had clicked on the top of that column all your mail would have been sorted so that unread mail was at the bottom of the list.

Anyway, you gave it a go and don't have time to learn how to drive it properly so leaving it for another day is the best option for you. ;)

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 03:55 PM
IMO use Thunderbird, it's twice as good as Eudora if not three times better.
Rubbish. I tried Thunderbird for a good while and found it very frustrating not having all the neat options that Eudora has. Sure, Eudora takes a little bit of getting used to but once it has been mastered it is an excellent email client, much better than Thunderbird in my view.

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 04:02 PM
OE has the ability to set message rules to steer stuff into folders incl "junk" or something, and from something from GF it seems that Eudora can do this. Question - why need Mailwasher? I get only one or two spams a day now that Brightmail does its stuff, and I have a few things which I put straight through to Delete under OE rules.
Does Beetle need a springclean of her arrangements without setting up G Mail ??
Vheers all Tony
Only Eudora's paid version has a junk mail filter and it works very well. The only thing is that it will download the junk off the server into its junk folder, unlike Mailwasher whereby one can view the headers then choose not to download it.

I don't trust Orcon's spam filter as even though it catches most things, it has also flagged some of my legitimate and rather important mail as spam so I download the lot then let Eudora do the sorting for me. Every now and then I'll skim through the junk folder then delete the spam myself.

Vheers FoxyMX :D

beetle
02-03-2005, 04:08 PM
LOL
yep........ all true, must learn not to fiddle and stay default i guess.........
but i do find it slow....irritating at the moment....pops up even as not default email client???????

and those read or unread things gone, and i cant get em to move back on to page....list screen etc........

FoxyMX
02-03-2005, 05:41 PM
and those read or unread things gone, and i cant get em to move back on to page....list screen etc........
Once the "unread" icons have gone you can reassign them manually (right click>Change Status>Unread) but you have to find the email to do that first. ;)

Wombat
03-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Rubbish. I tried Thunderbird for a good while and found it very frustrating not having all the neat options that Eudora has. Sure, Eudora takes a little bit of getting used to but once it has been mastered it is an excellent email client, much better than Thunderbird in my view.
Get some soap and wash your mouth out with please. :groan: