PDA

View Full Version : Any CRT Monitor Experts?

bartsdadhomer
01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
I've got 2 spare aging 17" Monitors
An HP M70 & a Compaq V70
Both have a fuzzy picture (viewable, but not pleasant)
Is there anything I can do to fix them
Do they suffer from Dry solder joints etc?
And if so is there a site that could show me what to look for after I've got the back off
I know they can be dangerous to work on that's why the backs are still on them.
Or do I biff them
Thanks for any help

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Either of them have a degauss button? If so, try pressing it, and see if either gets better.

BassMan
01-03-2005, 09:55 PM
It's doubtful that you will get a repair that will bring your CRTs back up to near new status if they're old displays (more than 3 years) although you could be lucky. A qualified tech might replace a capacitor or resistor and get the display sharpened to the point of usability if you're lucky, but the base cost of a diagnosis is likely to be around $80 these days - money which will go a long way to getting you a brand new 19" CRT which will have a 3 year life.

There are many 19" CRTs that you can buy for $400 or less, so I would suggest you flick the 2 you have for whatever you can get (say $40 each), add that to the money you save by not repairing them, and calling that a discount on a bright shiny new one. ($400 less $240 means you will be forking out, morally at least, $160 for the new one).

Fixing hardware, unless it's a warranty thing, just doesn't seem to add up any more.

*sigh*

Just my $0.02.

:)

zqwerty
01-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Yup,
Take the back off, look for the line Xmer find the Focus Potentiometer, a small stalk, 2 of them, with Philips and Flat head screw driver slots, they will be labelled, do not be tempted to adjust the Screen Pot. You may have to use a bit of force to break the sealing compound, and then small interative turns until the focus is ok by inspection on the screen, use a mirror in front of the monitor whilst you are around the back for ease of adjustment. The line Xmer can be identified by the normally red lead that goes up to the tube to deliver the EHT. Adjust for best focus to the centre of the screen, it is always a compromise between the centre and the edges, even on new monitors.

CAUTION. BE VERY CAREFUL.

Billy T
01-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Degaussing won't cure fuzziness, gauss (magnetisation) effects just cause screen discolouration.

Your problem is poor focus due to CRT aging, and I wrote an FAQ How-To on that for the old forum. As yet it has not found its way back to the new FAQ list, but if you search for it you might be able to find it. I may have a copy of the original text here somewhere too so I'll look for it tomorrow.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jen
01-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Your problem is poor focus due to CRT aging, and I wrote an FAQ How-To on that for the old forum. As yet it has not found its way back to the new FAQ list, but if you search for it you might be able to find it. All the old FAQ's are still there, but there is a trick for dragging them up easily. Click on the Search Link and then the Advanced Search like this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/search.php?). Put FAQ into Key word(s) and then select under that with the drop down arrow "Search Titles Only". Hit Search and there they all are! :D

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2005, 10:58 PM
That FAQ written by Billy has proved most valuable to myself, saving me 4+ Monitors!

Many thanks to Billy for a well-used FAQ :D

First time opening the monitor may be a bit daunting, but after that you'll be fine :)

Chill.

bartsdadhomer
02-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks chaps
I found Billy's FAQ & one monitor is now much better than it was
Not perfect but definitely readable & now in use for PC testing purposes
Two to go
Thanks again