PDA

View Full Version : I think Fedora ate my Windows

sam m
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Thought it was about time I try a new version of Linux. I downloaded Fedora Core and burnt to dvd. Used Partition Magic 8 to "instal another OS" and went through process as I had done with other distros in the past. Installed Fedora although it did require a bit more thought than the others I have tried especially when it talked about partitions. I had assigned 7GB for this and I had chosen that partition in the setup. The installation was successful except for:

I dont have a bootloader. On the other distros I was able to find the bootloader and adjust to my liking but I cant find any such setting. I am sure that I still have Windows XP there but when I restart it goes straight to Fedora.

Can someone guide me to
a) find out if windows is still here
b) bootloader setup so I can have a choice

thanks

FoxyMX
01-03-2005, 08:03 PM
You can make a bootdisk instead of using a bootloader but Core 2 and 3 will have to boot from a CD as it won't fit on a floppy.

Have a look at this thread for instructions:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1272&highlight=mkbootdisk

or this page (scroll down to "The Boot Loader"):

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=355337

Jen
01-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Fedora Core 3 does things a wee bit differently with the bootloader. By default, the default OS option is only displayed after POST is finished. It gives a 5 second countdown to push enter so that the traditional GRUB bootloader GUI screen is displayed, otherwise the default OS is loaded. Reboot the machine and when you see it displaying Booting Fedora etc ... quickly hit enter to access the bootloader GUI. Arrow down and select Windows (or whatever it is described as, maybe Other?).

If this is not your situation, post back and we can take it from there. :)

You can also change the default OS or the way the GRUB GUI is not displayed if preferred.

sam m
01-03-2005, 08:47 PM
oops...
I pressed enter and the bootloader appeared but there was only the one choice, Fedora. There were edit options but way beyond what I know.

I am guessing that I have to either create / edit a bootloader or I have lost Windows (I could live with that but the rest of the family might disagree) and I will have to reinstall.

Thanks

Jen
01-03-2005, 09:07 PM
You can check to see if the partition that XP lived on still remains by booting into Fedora and running from a console window as root:

fdisk -l

See if that lists your FAT32 or NTFS partitons. If they are still present, then the easiest way to fix this is to boot with the XP CD and get into the recovery console and use fixmbr. This will overwrite the bootloader in the MBR. Then you can reinstall Fedora again, telling it to use the existing Linux partitions and make sure you have selected GRUB as a bootloader and the settings are correct for a dual boot system.