PDA

View Full Version : no tabs in sysedit

jonlinsmith
01-03-2005, 07:03 PM
yesterday i picked up a YAT. Luckily AVG spotted it and deleted it. I had to delete a yat file manually, too. After this the old windows logon screen, that i thought i had gotten rid of a month ago, came back. (but i cant find any profiles listed) Anyway, i just tried to open my sysedit and there are no longer any tabs at the top to click. Just a lot of boxes that look like notebook files. Any help would be appreciated.
Win 98se

godfather
01-03-2005, 07:13 PM
?

Sysedit opens the .sys files in notepad view, just as you describe.

Perhaps you really mean "msconfig" and not "sysedit"?

jonlinsmith
02-03-2005, 02:50 AM
it has always opened, looking like msconfig, with tabs, before this. So, i guess it is okay? How about the windows logon? there are no profiles entered when i look in sysedit.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Profiles arent held in sysedit or msconfig.

I dont think 98se has profiles either.

What do u mean by profiles exactly?? Users that log into 98??

Like what XP or 2000 uses?? Which 98 wouldnt have?

jonlinsmith
02-03-2005, 11:23 AM
i mean when i start my system and windows asks for user name and password. At one time i had gotten it to stop asking. Went to microsoft site and they said to do a search for *.pwl files. I didn't find any. In my sysedit there is an entry that says password, but nothing after that. In my regedit, there is nothing either.
And now, suddenly, when i tried to run AVG, it gets halfway through and says it has performed an illegal operation, and closes. Never had any problems before.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Ok gotcha Jon. Did u search for *.pwl with show all files?? Not too sure if these pwl files are hidden. I dont use 98 atm. I cant actually remember if 98 has the show all files option. Havent used it for a while.

I think if u try and stop the username/password coming up in 98, when u log into 98/SE, (or delete the pwl file, if there's on on the hdd), it'll also stop saving the password, when you log onto the net (on dialup - it wont save the password). You'll have to re-enter the password all the time.

Which can be annoying. BUT yup, if your PC has a login asking for a name/password, A pwl file should be somewhere on your system.

I would say if AVG is crashing theres something on your system like adware, spyware, or maybe a virus?? Or AVG needs updating.

jonlinsmith
03-03-2005, 05:17 AM
spybot found downloadware. I think i have got it out of system Avg ran okay after.
My system didnt ask for any password , until i added a profile to keep a person from using my pc. Thats no longer an issue, but i cant seem to get it to stop asking. I did the search For*.pwl , searching all files. But nothing is there. hmmmmmm. Oh well, thanks.

Jen
03-03-2005, 07:02 AM
Your fastest and easiest way around this to to download Tweak UI 1.33 (http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp) for Win98SE. It is a Microsoft developed power tool. Once installed, you will find an option to use automatic login which will stop the prompt for username/password from being displayed, and will just load Windows directly to the desktop. :)