PDA

View Full Version : Too many columns in XP program screen!

Billy T
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Team

I have friend in the US whose XP programs screen has spontaneously expanded into three columns, pushing program information off the right hand side of the screen and intruding back to the left over the top of the first column.

There is a screen shot Here. (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/XP-Screen.jpg)

It may be a configuration setting, but it doesn't look like it because the result is not very helpful. I don't have XP so I can't help, but does anybody here know what is going on?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Get him to click on the taskbar/properties/start menu/customise/advanced

Tick Scroll programs

See if that does anything.

johnboy
01-03-2005, 05:04 PM
This just shows how many programs you have installed.
When you install something it usually ask's if you want to add it to all programs .
You can remove a lot of them by going to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
and deleting them from there.
HTH

anek dotal
01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
First off, your friend should go through and check for obsolete entries from uninstalled programs and delete them (right click on the icon, Delete).
Next, go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs, and create category folders such as Utilities, Security, Internet, Hardware, Office etc. You can make whatever and as many categories as you like. Then go to the Start >> All Programs menu, and just drag and drop the old folder icons into the new category folders i.e. drag all the MS Office individual folders and icons into a new folder just called "Office". It makes things much tider, and easier to find.

Myth
01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
I second the advice of anek; as thats what I have done.
For instance I have Reg Cleaner, and other Utilities in a Utility folder.
Firefox and Thunderbird are in a folder called Mozilla; my firewall and Anti-viruses (yes I run more than one :) ) in another folder.

By doing this I have kept it down to one column.

Another thing, in the first column, where he has AOL 9.0, Windows Catalog, Open Office Dialog etc... I got rid of those, as I found they were double ups anyway (but that was my pref)

Billy T
01-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys, but I'm still looking for a few more ideas.

At this stage it is my understanding that it just happened one day, so the slow accumulation of programs is unlikely to be the cause. The computer is used for business only so there isn't much being added.

I'll check back on the history though, memory is such a fragile beast. :o

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

quarry
01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
it's kinda obvious - too much crap installed with absolutely no idea where anything goes - this requires somebody to sort / uninstall the rubbish & to reorganise the menu. it is a case of gradual accumulation, not something overnite. how do i know ? fixing my teenage nephews pc & 100s of others. but don't worry, it's normal!