PDA

View Full Version : ISDN internet connection

Fergie
01-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi all.
I'm really needing to move up from dail up net, so wot are the options
1st, heres the story - i live on a farm out of Hawera, in Sth Taranaki - recenlty, TC upgraded all of the regions exchanges to support Jetstream- but they didn't upgrade the cabinet to which i'm connected to (this from TC: Put simply, JetStream works from the property to the "ports" (these are the ADSL connection points in the exchange) via copper cables. Your line runs copper cables from the property to the cabinet (white junction boxes generally located on cnrs, intersections etc) then is fed to the exchange using a fibre optic cable. This transfer of technology cannot support Jetstream as the signal gets lost once it hits the cabinet.

We do upgrade these cabinets around NZ, and we are undertaking a huge rollout throughout NZ to achieve more upgrades. Unfortunately there are no set plans in your area, but this may change at a later date

So i can't get ADSL, tho pretty much everyone else can.
Anyway, i have looked at wireless, far to expensive for what you get.
And for all i no, thats it

BUt then a mate today sed what about ISDN, i done a bit of a search, but i stil have a few q's

1) What type of phone line would i need - does it have to supprt ADSL?
2) anyone here use it - any good? would you recomend it.

As for prices, best i've found is $100 a mnth, for 128kps flat rate - which is still quite dear, but better than dial up!

o, and can you use the phone at the same time?

If its know good for me, does anyone know anything that i can get?
Or am i stuck in the dark ages...
Cheers

KiwiTT_NZ
01-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Depends on your net usage. I suspect $100 per month is too expensive. Have you tried one of thoses Dynalink Rural Modems. Noise can be a real speed killer. And I have heard these help.

Also install a host file and ellimate most of the ads and you will get a pretty good browser experience. I did and I delayed my purchase of Jetstream until just recently.

Fergie
01-03-2005, 04:44 PM
just reading around, found a few things:
1st, Fibre is out of the question

BUt wahts frame relay - as seen here:
http://www.iconz.co.nz/bus_frame.html

I don't know of any wireless options in the region - but could be easily done with something on the mountain?

Xtra Wireless is definatly out of the picture - $1500 set up, then $100 a mnth for 1gb, no thanks!

And this ISDN, i don't really get it aye - is it a 'always on' connection? or do you haev to dial up - and thus engaging your phone line.
Becos here - http://www.iconz.co.nz/bus_isdn.html
it has ' The monthly fee includes a time allocation of 100 hours, unlimited National Data and International Off-Peak Data, with a small charge for International Peak Data.
'
and then has extra charges - either $1 per hr, or $.75 per MB etc etc, so i'm not to sure what's wot!

Fergie
01-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Yea, i've tried all thse things - pretty much sucking everything out i can!
BUt i'm a keen gamer, and i'd also like to free up the phone line when on the net - but the latter is not important

PaulD
01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Forget ISDN if you don't have a direct connection to your local exchange. Telecom will eventually be moving the ADSL out to the cabinets.

Zygar
01-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Don't bother with ISDN if you intend to play online games. It lags like a mofo.

Fergie
01-03-2005, 07:42 PM
lol, we'll i'm back to square one then!

Fergie
01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
hey - just getting a bit off topic here, but you know the woosh modems, if you got 2 of them would it be possible to create a LAN over 300m (not line of site) as they have boosters and everything.