PDA

View Full Version : Combo drive cannot read any kind of CDs

chaostheory
01-03-2005, 05:14 AM
I purchased a Compaq Presario 2100 last year, with a TEAC DW-224E combo drive pre-installed. When my notebook computer crashed last Christmas and I reformatted it, I noticed something was wrong with my CD drive. A few days later, the DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive doesn't work at all.

It cannot read ANY kind of CD, whether audio, DVD, burned, CDRW - any kind. Another thing, the light keeps on blinking all the time, as if it's trying to read a disc even though the drive is empty.

I tried the TEAC website and it has no driver for the specific pre-installed model. The HP and Microsoft Update websites are of no help as well. I've tried uninstalling the drive, but the system recognizes it again next start-up and installs it immediately - but it still cannot read any type of disc. So what seems to be the problem? Anyone kind enough to help?

Renmoo
01-03-2005, 06:24 AM
Are you running program that might need a CD? This might explain why the light keep on blinking all the time. Is there anything wrong with the Combo's lens?

bartsdadhomer
01-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Does the Drive Letter show up in My Computer or is it missing
If it is showing right click & select eject
Did it eject?
If it did, then mechanically it's ok so the only thing left to do is run a lens cleaning CD
If no joy after that it's probably toast & you're up for a new one
TEAC's are known as prety crappy units unfortunately

It the drive letter isn't showing in My Computer, post back & me or someone else will tell you how to fix it.
hth

pctek
02-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Its dead.
Buy a better brand while you're replacing it.

ILikeLinux
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I have had this problem with a few laptop cdrom dives, try pushing the drive in with LOTS of force. if it doesnt work, try again.

I am serious.

scoutII
22-03-2005, 12:17 AM
I have had this problem with a few laptop cdrom dives, try pushing the drive in with LOTS of force. if it doesnt work, try again.

I am serious.

I happened upon this post in a Google search while I was trying to fix the combo drive on my wife's Presario 2500 notebook. Had the exact same symptoms and after trying everything, thought what more can I hurt? After closing the drive with excessive force a couple of times, she was backup and running. Just had to post to say 'good looking out.'