PDA

View Full Version : Printer Woe

MrPete
28-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know how to re-assign a USB printer to the LPT port?

I have an application that automatically directs its outputs ONLY to LPT1. I have a USB printer which occupies the "USB001" port. No LPT printers attached. I want my application to print to the USB printer, but I cannot change the program.

My question is: How can I re-assign the USB port so the computer will reference it as the LPT1 port?

Thanks in advance.

beama
28-02-2005, 11:31 PM
try the forum search, If I remember correctly the same question was asked about 6 months ago and answered also

godfather
28-02-2005, 11:52 PM
May be difficult.

If the "program" runs in DOS mode then there could be a real issue, as USB is not known to DOS, so redirection could not work anyway.

Perhaps if we knew what Windows version and the program name?

Graham L
01-03-2005, 02:33 PM
If this application actually sends characters to 0x3BF, 0x378, or 0x278 you will have problems with MS Windows. :(

You might be able to make a "dummy printer" which uses LPT1, and set it to "print to file". Then you could copy the file to the real printer.

There are ways to get bits written to the actual hardware registers (in the parallel and serial ports) even though later MS Windows versions don't "allow" such access. But your problem is not that. If you had a parallel printer on a parallel port you wouldn't have a problem.

I suspect the answer is a parallel printer.;)

MrPete
01-03-2005, 10:23 PM
The real answer is a Parallel Printer.

The bad news is, I tried to get the cheapest printer to save some bucks, and now that I'm stuck with them because I cannot return them, I have to find a way to make it work. They has to be a way. The program is a commercial application which the developer says will be costly to change. I am trying to find a way to reassign the print device where the program will not care.

Thanks all. Keep up the brainstorm. mp

godfather
01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
We still have zero information to work on though.

No idea what operating system you use.

No idea what the application is written in, or written for (does it use DOS Interrupts I wonder...it sounds like it may?)

Again, DOS has no understanding of USB.
If you could "remap" a printer port it may require rewriting the operating system, making a parallel printer very cheap in comparison. You could probably buy the entire factory.

beama
01-03-2005, 10:56 PM
maybe this would be worth a try
XH4303 (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42243cc708e64558273fc0a87f9906cd/Product/View/XH4303)

Murray P
01-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Problem is the device isn't legacy but the programme is. Depending on the output needs, you could pick up a fairly good inkjet for the money DSE wants. Nifty looking device though.