PDA

View Full Version : Works 4.5 - again

Scouse
28-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi Folks. Still using my old 4.5 word processor and database combined to create mailing lists for hand-delivered local club news. Sorted in to 8 delivery areas (1-8) and then by street and number within areas. Any simple way of inserting a "page break" in the print run so that each of the area numbers starts a new page? Help appreciated. :cool:

Scouse
01-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Bump :cool:

andy
01-03-2005, 06:11 PM
This is going back a bit Scouse, but you might be able to either insert a break in the report-creator wizard or sort your db by the area number so that the page breaks fit in. The manual (I have works 4 still in storage, but not installed anywhere to try this) is fairly minimal in this area.
I seem to remember that you can create a word proccessor doc in works and import fields from the database so you might be able to try this and sort out the page breaks in your wp document.
Not too specific I'm afraid, but hope it gives you some useful ideas.
regards,
andy

Scouse
02-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Andy. Thanks for your input. Your memory is right I can and do create text reports and insert things like page breaks. However, the problem is when I want to create pages of labels for printing. I can sort these by the various criteria but so far I have been unable to nut out creating page breaks in the label run. Just trying to make it easier for the elderly club secretary and her delivery team. She has this ancient machine (she's thinking of upgrading her word processor to Word 97 because someone gave her a CD). At her request I occasionally copy her 4.5 data and bring it home to my XP PRO, where I have 4.5 sitting alongside Office 2003, so that I can audit her work and prepare odd reports for her. Anyway, thanks again. :cool:

Heather J
03-03-2005, 08:12 AM
I think this could be a solution, but its a tedious way of doing it. (I had a similar problem and found this solution works, but fiddly when you add or delete names on the data base) Using the number of labels per sheet, put blank rows in the data base to equal the subset of the names of the people to equal the number of labels per page, oh dear I don't know if that make sense!!!!!

Scouse
03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi Heather J. Thank you for your interest. Yes, your idea does make sense, but unfortunately the database is regularly sorted and re-sorted for various reasons (and not by me) such as by surname, by street, by rural post addresses, by various dates. The position of the blank lines become history very quickly. Also, the 1200 or so addresses are regularly sorted for label purposes, minus the RD's which are posted separately. Thanks again. :cool:
Oops...and the lady who is the day-to-day carer for this little enterprise does not have to fantastic a grasp of what goes on in the box so things have to be kept simple.