PDA

View Full Version : No Sound

zilla
28-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I have just noticed I have no sound. Actually I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there was no sound when I connected to the net..usually get that screeching noise when dialing up but everything else seemed to be working my mail notifications etc. Now my alerts, mail notification virus warning etc are silent. Have checked the volume that's ok, went and checked sound devices and they all appeared ok. Can't work it out. Also the same when I play a cd...acts as if it's playing but again no volume.

I'm using windows xp home edition sp2....Packard Bell Easy Note.

Appreciate any help...thanks.

Jen
28-02-2005, 07:57 PM
[edit]Hmm ... didn't read the post properly sorry. I see you have already checked your sound volumes/mute etc.

zilla
28-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Yes have checked all that and done all the trouble shooting and said devices were working correctly. My sound card is SoundMax Intergrated digital audio. I had thought of uninstalling it through the device manager and then rebooting windows so the hardware manager would reinstall it encase it was faulty. But I don't want to make things worse...what do you reckon???

zilla
28-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I went ahead and uninstalled the sound card and the windows hardware reinstalled it and now I have sound.....I can play cds and the alerts and notifications are working but the system sounds don't appear to be working.

Prescott
28-02-2005, 09:11 PM
download the latest drivers for your soundcard, have you enabled the system sounds though?

zilla
01-03-2005, 01:51 AM
I checked for the latest drivers and they were up to date. The system sounds are now working it was blank where it said sound scheme...so I clicked on default and everything is working. Strange that it still doesn't make a noise when I'm connecting...dialing up. However I can live without that sound.

Thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2005, 09:54 AM
The sound when dialing up is from the modem. Not the soundcard. Maybe the modem speaker has been turned off in the dialup / properties.

zilla
01-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I went into network connections and the box was ticked where is said enable modem speaker. Now I come to think of it everything was working ok until I installed windows sp2..it never occurred to me.

Thanks for your help.

Cicero
01-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I went into network connections and the box was ticked where is said enable modem speaker. Now I come to think of it everything was working ok until I installed windows sp2..it never occurred to me.

Thanks for your help.
Had a look in phone and modems?You can alter volume there.

zilla
01-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Just checked that the volume is set to high.

andlucas
06-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I have just upgraded windows 2000 server, having hard disk partitioned into three, deleting all the unncessary applications, and the like. Nothing odd happened, or was supposed to happen, as far as i am concerned, except the sound is not working. When I inserted CD, the media player shows that it is playing well. The volume is set alright. When I played something on line, again, the media player was launched and showed something being played. It's just that the sound doens't come out. What went wrong?
I am a novice here when it comes to this stupid black box, called computer. :) Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, it was not I who did the upgrading. So he might have done something to cause this trouble? In the control panel, nothing shows something wrong, though. The devices/drives are there safe and well.
Help, quick! :)

Andrea.

zilla
06-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Same thing happened to me after installing the sp2 fix....I had NO sound either. I uninstalled my sound card and then rebooted my computer and the hardware manager looked for new hardware and reinstalled it and everything was ok.

Click on start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager. Then look for sound, video and game controllers and expand it and look for your soundcard. Right click on it then click uninstall then reboot. Windows should then reinstall the missing hardware and then your sound should be back.