PDA

View Full Version : Firefox bookmarks gone

Prescott
28-02-2005, 06:09 PM
i opened firefox just before and now i dont have any of my bookmarks, they were there 5 min ago, and now they are gone, is there any way to get them back?

neddy
28-02-2005, 06:53 PM
When I had that problem, a system restore did the trick.

And I've just got Firefox to display PDF files and not hang when hitting the back key, thanks to updating to Adobe Reader 7

Jen
28-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Go and have a look in your profile folder(s). Firefox might of for some reason opened up with a new profile, therefore your custom bookmarks would not be present.

Your profile folder can be found for XP/2000 here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

And for Windows 98/ME:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Prescott
28-02-2005, 07:18 PM
sorry should have mentioned, yes im using xp.

i went to: F:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
and there was only "adrr5la1.default" i clicked on the bookmark icon and there there were no bookmarks :(

Prescott
01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
bump :)
i still havent got my bookmarks, its not there....

anek dotal
01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Prescott,

I know this doesn't help your current problem, but for protection in the future, install the 'Bookmark Backup' extension available from http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/. It'll create a backup each time you close Firefox.

Jen
01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I did some googling on this Prescott, and apart from people accidently opening up Firefox with a new profile and then thinking all their bookmarks are lost (which you have ruled out), the next common suggestion was bookmark corruption? Bit unsure on this one as it is just an .html file which is read from ...

So if you search your whole hard drive (I see you have Firefox on F:\ ) including hidden files/folder for bookmarks.html, then only your empty bookmarks.html file is found? What was the file size of your "empty" bookmarks.html?

Prescott
01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Prescott,

I know this doesn't help your current problem, but for protection in the future, install the 'Bookmark Backup' extension available from http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/. It'll create a backup each time you close Firefox.

thanks anek dotal, im gonna download that too, looks like a good extension.

So if you search your whole hard drive (I see you have Firefox on F:\ ) including hidden files/folder for bookmarks.html, then only your empty bookmarks.html file is found? What was the file size of your "empty" bookmarks.html?

i just done a search for bookmarks.html and it came up with 3 bookmark.html files, i had a look at them and they are not my ones.

the bookmark corruption does seem like a possibilty, i did have heaps of book marks, the file sizes of these 3 bookmarks.html are 15.6Kb, 28.4Kb and 15.8Kb

thanks for all the help, so do i still have a chance on getting them back?

FoxyMX
01-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Just on the offchance... do a search for bookmarks.*

If that doesn't turn up anything then they are well and truly gone. :(

zqwerty
01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
There is a backup of my Bookmarks, from the previous instal here:

E:\Documents and Settings\PentPro200S\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\oiq2k1uq.default\boo kmarks.bak

You will have to figure out where yours might be.

Prescott
01-03-2005, 10:23 PM
i got bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak and they are not my ones
:badpc::dogeye::dogeye::angry:angry

looks like im screwed, and i had some good bookmarks too, they were so well sorted in each folder......

gutted, makes me wanna move to IE.......... not
im gonna get that bookmark backup and start using that from now on.

let me know if you have any other ideas