PDA

View Full Version : Static in speakers and monitor displaying weird lines

Phoenix-Wolf
28-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Greetings

I do not actually remember when it happened but here it is.

First the problem

It does not happen all the time and there is no pattern to it but (I think it maybe be getting worse) here is what happens like the Title says my speakers have some what of a static kind of when you plug in the speakers into the speaker slot you will hear a static like sound.

now my monitor also does something like that lines stat jumping all through my screen the lines are not in any color actually more like strait waves going thought the monitor.

pc spec.

My mother board is K7VTA3 K7FSB 333 AMD Athlon/Duron 1.6 gh (I thought it was 2){I may have to set up that in bio but i can do that my self}

512 MB of (ddr)

I have Radeon9200 128 mb (ddr) video card

Windows Xp (although I do believe it also happened when I use Linux) but it had been a while. (I have to have windows :mad: for some programs and games :rolleyes: oh well)

I have just bought a sound card it had integrated sound but I wanted surround sound so I bought (Creative Sound blaster live Ls)

I have checked for viruses there is none and I also recently reinstalled the pc same problem and it is not the monitor because I also have changed it and the problem prissiest

any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Did u disable the onboard sound, when u installed the SB live card??

Billy T
28-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Doesn't sound like a software issue to me.

That is a typical "arcing connection" effect and could be caused by something as simple as a loose mains plug for the computer or monitor, or a loose card inside the computer. If it is reasonably predictable, you might get a better clue by turning the volume down to zero and seeing if the speakers still crackle when the screen interference appears.

I'd try thumping the monitor or PC case a few times or wiggling the power connections. Start with the simple things first, then move on from there if necessary.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Overdrive_5000
28-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Do you know if the speakers are magnetically shielded ? And does your monitor have a degauss function ? if so try it when the lines are on screen.

HTH :)

godfather
28-02-2005, 06:12 PM
I am in agreement with Billy T on this.

Most probably/definitely a loose power connection, likely in the supply to the monitor.

Phoenix-Wolf
01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Thank you all for your input

I don't know if it is working yet because like I said it is not very often but I am hoping for the best.

and as far as connections go (remember about the other monitor it happened there to + I had checked that also) <I probably should have told you that’s one of the first things I did> none the less Speedy Gonzales you said to disable the onboard sound (duh!! I should done that a long time ago) ohh well LOL thank you hope it works now

Thank you again

Graham L
01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Don't ignore the possibility of a faulty power cord. (Microsoft have been recalling X-Boxes because of this).

Feel the moulded plugs (and sockets on IEC cords) after the computer has been going for a while.. If they are hot, they are dangerous.

Phoenix-Wolf
04-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Well I checked the cords it's not them and it was not the onboard audio (I don't think that mattered because there was auto and disabled) so it being on auto the pc did not even notice the onboard audio when I had the sound card installed hence it being on auto.

Well even so I disabled it but to no avail.

Now here is what is going one when I was removing the sound card (trying to find out if it was the card that was doing it) yet I heard the static sound in the speakers (note: these are different speakers then the original ones that I was using when I posted here so it is not the speakers) any way I had unplugged every thing form the pc and I still hear the static. I am thinking it may be some radio waves that are around but if anyone has any idea please post.

Billy T
04-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Now here is what is going one when I was removing the sound card (trying to find out if it was the card that was doing it) yet I heard the static sound in the speakers (note: these are different speakers then the original ones that I was using when I posted here so it is not the speakers) any way I had unplugged every thing form the pc and I still hear the static. I am thinking it may be some radio waves that are around but if anyone has any idea please post.

This is not really very clear.

Did you hear the noise with the sound card removed?

What do you mean by "unplugged everything from the PC"?

Does it happen regularly? If so, it could be an internal fault in the monitor that is causing the problem. Can you try another monitor or run the computer with the monitor unplugged to see if the noise still occurs?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
04-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Computer "speakers" are also mains powered in most cases.

Any serious connection problem in the mains supply to the computer and/or speakers can cause "static" in the speakers irrespective of them being plugged into the PC.

Likewise it will cause "lines" on the monitor.

It still points firmly to a mains connection problem in a circuit supplying the PC, speakers or monitor (or all of them).

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Try this site

http://www.techie.net.nz/hardware/sblive.html

Or this site

http://www.short-media.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1233.html

It looks like this is a common prob with this soundcard

godfather
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Speedy, read the posters last comments though.

Static from the speakers with the speakers unplugged from the PC (but assumedly not from the power), that does not point to a sound card issue.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2005, 09:58 PM
OK then :D errr what about the resolution of the monitor?? whats that set at right now?? maybe its too high??

Ive read that if monitors (if the resolution) is set to high it can give off a sound. And may also be the cause of the lines.?

BUT the sound may not be static... I take it if the speakers arent connected and u still get the sound, its coming from the case speaker??

godfather
04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
You are right that a monitor can give off sound in some circumstances, but "lines" on the monitor and "static" on the unplugged speakers at the same time would have a 95% probability of a power issue.

Reading the posts reinforces that, it's an intermittent problem which rules out resolution?

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Has this card got a digital output only option under sounds somewhere??

Tick and untick this. See if it makes any diff.

george12
04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Wiggle all the mains power connectors. If it happens when you do that, replace whatever cord it is.

If it is that type that the speaker plug goes between the monitor and cord, buy a new cord and plug the speaker in dedicatedly, that stops the arcing that commonly occurs in this setup.

Phoenix-Wolf
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
You are right that a monitor can give off sound in some circumstances, but "lines" on the monitor and "static" on the unplugged speakers at the same time would have a 95% probability of a power issue.

Reading the posts reinforces that, it's an intermittent problem which rules out resolution?

I truly believe you are right I will check and see if that could be it although i have already changed the monitor and the speakers the only thing that is the same is the power strip (which could be my problem). george12 you say to wiggle the power connection well even though I have changed my monitor and speakers i did that but to no avail so I am going to try to find if it could me the power or even the main plug.

Note: to everyone else I have unplugged all wires going to the cp (main computer) that includes the power cord (this was done when I was removing my sound card) but the only thing that was the same was power strip that the monitor and speakers use. So it is not the sound card or the v-card that much I now know.

None the less: Thank you all and I let you know what happens. :D

godfather
05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
It could even be in the house wiring itself or the main switchboard.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Wonder if it's like what I had last year..

BUT the only thing was my system rebooted constantly. And I dont think yours reboots constantly does it??

In my case, the main power point this system is plugged into was shorting, (or one of the wires had come out of the power connection), and I found this out by brushing my arm along the pc case, and feeling power.

This shorted out my mobo and the video. I dont have speakers, so wouldnt know whether there was static or not.

But I cant remember seeing lines on the monitor.

southern_jas
05-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Just a thought.....do you have a cell-phone sitting somewhere near the computer?

when one of my cell phones is near the computer and does its periodic check for the cell signal it makes lines appear across the monitor and static bursts from the speakers. This lasts for around 5 seconds and then stops again.

Phoenix-Wolf
06-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Just a thought.....do you have a cell-phone sitting somewhere near the computer?

when one of my cell phones is near the computer and does its periodic check for the cell signal it makes lines appear across the monitor and static bursts from the speakers. This lasts for around 5 seconds and then stops again.

Yes, I have a cell phone near my pc and also a smartset clock (for those that don’t know what that is) [it is a clock that will download the time from a satellite periodically, also it will set the time back if power goes off with out me having to do any thing.] now I have moved both them even turned off the clock totally (unplugged it) but the problem still prissiest.

When you had that problem did it happen when the cell phone was in another room? (This is what I have been thinking it was all the time but I could not find a radio wave or something equivalent that was always near or on when it happened.)

well thank you for your input:D

Rob99
06-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Do you make money per click of the link in your sig or only if I sign up. Looks like a pyramid scam.

Phoenix-Wolf
11-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Well I now know what it is.

I recently brought my TV in to my room where the computer is to watch some videos. And when I turned on my cell phone I heard the same thing in the TV.

The only thing is that does not tell me why I still hear it when the phone it’s out of the room or is off.

Maybe I have a bug some where in here Eh :dogeye: oh well will see.

Thank you all for your help

godfather
11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
"Static" and the distinctive stacatto "buzz" caused by cellphone interference are quite different to the ear though.

Cellphone radiation will usually have an effect within a metre or three.

Phoenix-Wolf
11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
"Static" and the distinctive stacatto "buzz" caused by cellphone interference are quite different to the ear though.

Cellphone radiation will usually have an effect within a metre or three.

Yes it is the (staccato "buzz"):thumbs: I could not think of a good way to say it:confused: there for I said "Static" trying to get the idea across (and it worked) none the less I do thank you for clearing that up for us.

Thank you again :D

Graham L
11-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I will now nominate the "power strip that both the monitor and the speakers use" as the prime suspect.

My considered opinion of most powerstrips is that they are dangerous and badly made rubbish. The only ones which are any good are those which are built up using "real" 3 pin sockets.

If the plugs pull out of the strip with no or little resistance, bin the strip and replace it. If the pins aren't gripped firmly by the socket contacts, you will get arcing. The arcing might be intermittent, but it's not a Good Thing.