PDA

View Full Version : Finding the RIGHT Linux version

camo
28-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi,

I've got an old pig of a computer which still has heaps of life left in it, and I want to use it to learn how to use Linux.

Which Linux version is ideal for older computers (i.e. Pentium 2)? I'd like to get a graphical version (like Xandros) which uses the least amount of resources possible.

Ideas>?

personthingy
28-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I've got an old pig of a computer which still has heaps of life left in it, and I want to use it to learn how to use Linux.

Which Linux version is ideal for older computers (i.e. Pentium 2)? I'd like to get a graphical version (like Xandros) which uses the least amount of resources possible.

Ideas>?

I ran SuSE 8.0 Pro on a 450Mhz (P1) machine with 256 Mb of RAM
It was fine, but did thank me when i got it a 32 Mb Video Card!
By comparisn FC3 on my laptop with onboard crappy video, 1Ghz CPU and 256 Mb of Ram is a bit sucky on the resourses.
I'd start with an older Distro, partly because they are less demanding on the machine, and partly because you might understand it quicker.

SuSE was fine running as a client machine, a web server, ftp server, samba server, and gateway. Over a year running 24/7 i crashed it just once, all other downtime was due to changing hardware, or power problems.
:@@:

Murray P
28-02-2005, 04:02 PM
How much RAM do you have? How much free hardeive space do you have?

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Im a Gentoo fan.....

Simply_Si
28-02-2005, 06:37 PM
As Murray has mentioned, you really need to let us know the resources that the P2 has for us to be able to suggest something. If you're thinking of using an older version like Chris has suggested you would definitely want to hide it behind a firewall ;)

A good place to have a look at some of the available distros is Distrowatch (http://www.distrowatch.com) which gives links and a brief description.

HTH

Prescott
28-02-2005, 06:41 PM
vector linux perhaps?

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, VL is nice, but not as nice as a KDE-based distro like, say, Yoper.

Then again, the Yoper installer isnt all that

Perhaps Ark Linux?! Ark linux runs great on 500Mhz+ w/192MB Ram
Great n00b distro

Personally Im not happy with the current state of any linux distro - None are what I would call an ideal "n00b-friendly" distro..... Ark is the closest thing to it if you're not going to go "mainstream" with the likes of Fedora.

Perhaps I should remaster my own :D

Chill.

Greg
28-02-2005, 08:56 PM
None are what I would call an ideal "n00b-friendly" distro

I've never used linux, but heard that Mandrake is pretty user-friendly for newbs?

Murray P
28-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Yoper running on a P11 Chill, it'd need a bit of tweaking as it's i686.

I'd say Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/book/view/1) but you'd need 64MB min of RAM for a hard drive install and at least 128MB to run the live CD. It is a relatively light one for a desktop windows replacement though.

What does the Gentoo Live CD require Chill, can it be installed and is it easier for a noob to install than a stage 3 or is it essentially the same as the stage 3 live install I've downloaded? (displaying my ignorance). We'd need to know connection type/speed too for Gentoo install unless someone sent the CD.

Chilling_Silence
28-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Yoper running on a P11 Chill, it'd need a bit of tweaking as it's i686.
Why? i686 = P2 and above, this does not include AMD K6 or K5 CPU's

I'd say Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/book/view/1) but you'd need 64MB min of RAM for a hard drive install and at least 128MB to run the live CD. It is a relatively light one for a desktop windows replacement though.
MMmm..... Similar for Yoper....

What does the Gentoo Live CD require Chill, can it be installed and is it easier for a noob to install than a stage 3 or is it essentially the same as the stage 3 live install I've downloaded? (displaying my ignorance). We'd need to know connection type/speed too for Gentoo install unless someone sent the CD.
Right now there is no "Gentoo LiveCD" as such. There is NavynOS which is Gentoo-based which Im going to undertake re-mastering tonight

Its based on Gentoo and uses Fluxbox (I'd prefer Openbox myself) and should run on something with less than 64MB Ram no problem, due to Fluxbox low resource overhead.

Im honestly not sure how successful I'll be, but Ive got a few other people who are keen to support me. I may need to upgrade my home connectoin (It could get frustrating for me otherwise) but Ive already got some talk going about making a distro from NavynOS thats n00b-friendly with a basic KDE Desktop, Gaim, Firefox, aMSN, OpenOffice (With KDE NWF), XMMS, Kaffeine, GIMP, One or two basic games like Frozen-Bubble.... No real utilities... Obviously the kernel would be based on the NavynOS 2.6.9 kernel until I can learn to change that but thats what my idea is.

Wish me luck.

Chill.

Murray P
28-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah the Yoper site says P11, etc, etc, but I'm sure I saw mentioned somewhere a GHz + processor recommended, should have checked first before shooting my mouth eh!. Anyway perhaps not quiet at the new user friendly stage yet, next release perhaps.

A live Gentoo would be cool. Would you try to make it installable? ups the anti quiet a bit I would imagine.

Want someone to break it for you? (Yoper's really starting to fell the effects of my ministrations, but still can't find the time to install Gentoo. Might consider this Saturday night through to the Hurricanes game at 6:10am Sunday. That way I can just carry on cursing a screen with very little mode change required :cool: )

Prescott
28-02-2005, 10:47 PM
im just downloading the stage3 install of gentoo as we speak, hopefully its finished by the morning and ill install it this weekend......

vinref
01-03-2005, 03:00 AM
If you are new to Linux, the biggest problem you will have is getting used to the Linux way of doing things. To mitigate this, you should stick to a current distribution that has:

1. A large, active, mature, accessible and knowledgeable user support community.

2. A mature, stable, well-supported, automated package management system.

3. A default install that is either KDE (preferred) or Gnome. Having said that, don't boot a custom install unless you know what you are doing.

I do not recommend installing an older distro for your older hardware - the hassles with security vulnerabilities and software installation are not worth it. Ram, disks, cpus, video cards etc are cheaper than anger management therapy sessions. And have lots of persistence.

As for distros, here are my recommendations: Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE and Xandros.

Chilling_Silence
01-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I think Vinref has touched on several very good points there.

A Large active mature accessible and knowledgable user support community - There is _none_ better than the Gentoo support. Fedora would come a very close second mind you.

A Mature, stable, well-supported, automated package management system? Well, portage is command-line based and it can be slightly daunting.. But add Guitoo and esearch and you're set :) Debian g33ks tell me that apt is still better.

A default installation of KDE.... Yeah, If I was a new user then KDE would be ideal for sure! Openbox, while its my fav WM, is not all too friendly.

Sadly I didnt get too far last night, didnt manage to get the latest NavynOS fully down :( Maybe tonite!