PDA

View Full Version : no 'net radio stations work on my comp

xemachinex
28-02-2005, 01:38 PM
I've tried to stream various radio stations on my computer (xp pro) and in winamp I just get the [timed out] message. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thanks!
evan

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Might be a firewall. Are there any firewalls installed??

Also, try updating to the latest version of Winamp. Its up to 5.08e now.

xemachinex
28-02-2005, 02:40 PM
i just updated and that did not help. no firewalls either as far as I know. thanks though.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Are you on dialup or broadband??

That might be a factor.

Terry Porritt
28-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Try this:
http://www.wfuv.org/
and click on the listen live, choose 20K Windows Media

I'm listening at this very time to Rich Conaty's "The Big Broadcast".

xemachinex
28-02-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm on broadband.

I tried to lisent to that, but it just locating media..connecting to media...locating media, etc etc etc...

drcspy
28-02-2005, 03:37 PM
um........what operating system ?.........if youare on xp and you've got 'no firewalls' then you are crazy and certain to catch a virus in the near future....

Terry Porritt
28-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Since neither winamp nor media player work, the problem is deeper than just the player, do you have any other problems with connecting to sites, or with playing non-streaming files from a site?

However as drcspysuggested, you are living dangerously with no firewall, ifyou are behind a router with NAT you are probably ok.

Geoff Palmer in this months PC World quoted a site that said an unprotected PC can be hijacked within minutes:

http://usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-11-29-honeypot_x.htm

FoxyMX
28-02-2005, 03:53 PM
um........what operating system ?.........if youare on xp and you've got 'no firewalls' then you are crazy and certain to catch a virus in the near future....
Like, in possibly less than just half an hour... :eek:

Windows XP has a built-in firewall which with SP2 is enabled by default. You may need to check that it is not causing your problem.

drcspy
28-02-2005, 04:32 PM
yep you may need to set an exceptoin in sp2 firewall for your prog......also I personally caught a virus within about 1 minute by goin online without a firewall .......now i realise that some may last longer but it sure is a risk.....and it wont be much longer

xemachinex
28-02-2005, 04:33 PM
yeah, I'm on XP pro so I guess my problem could be the built in firewall.

xemachinex
01-03-2005, 07:19 AM
hmmm, ok, I put winamp and internet explorer on my exceptions list for the windows firewall, but still not look...i get the "could not connect" message..is there something else I need to put on the exceptions list?