PDA

View Full Version : ADSL and Internet Connection Sharing and Fax

Tony
28-02-2005, 10:31 AM
I am currently on IHUG Ultra and share the internet connection with 2 other PCs via a Dynalink mini 8-port switch.

I'm considering changing to IHUG Bliink ADSL. Several questions come to mind:

I know with ADSL I share the voice phone on the same line - can a fax also be on the line?

I know I need an ADSL modem at least, but it is not clear to me whether I also need to replace the Dynalink switch to make connection sharing/networking possible.

Why am I thinking of changing? If I can get rid of my second phone line (currently used for internet + fax), I can get always-on internet + faster speeds (2mbps) at an overall saving of about $30 a month.

As always, any and all advice is welcome.

KatiMike
28-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm on ADSL with a phone and fax , and everything works well . I did go for the full install option , thus have a dedicated ADSL jackpoint and no need to use line filters on the other equipment .
My Dynalink router has an inbuilt 4 port switch making sharing/ networking a breeze , maybe this option would suit you also ?

Tony
28-02-2005, 12:02 PM
My Dynalink router has an inbuilt 4 port switch Is that a specifically ADSL router? That's what I'm not clear on - whether I can use my current switching setup or have to get different gear. :confused:
Good news about the fax though.

KatiMike
28-02-2005, 12:21 PM
yes it is an ADSL router , with a built in 4 port switch - details -

http://www.dynalink.co.nz/ search for it under products