PDA

View Full Version : XP Faxing

Phil B
27-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Does the XP faxing program when set on automatically answer after ? rings check to see if it is a fax before answering & cutting off an incoming call. Does anyone know an ansafone program that would work with it

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Hmm dunno about the xp fax program. I use Winfax, but I would say it'll answer, if the line is free. Any shareware program that can be used as an answerphone,should work, if u use a voice/data/faxmodem.

I used to have talkworks, which was good. It was like winfax and an answer phone in one. You could record your voice as the message, or set it to a voice (wav file), that talkworks installed.

And also dial out with it, since it had a telephone like keypad with the #'s.

godfather
27-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Firstly, it is not possible to "check that the call is a fax" without answering the call, unless the "faxability" service from Telecom is used which gives a different ring cadence.

Secondly, if you are using an internal PCI modem, I am not aware of any that will reliably work with detecting a faxability ring signal.

Stand-alone fax machines often have the ability to answer the call, then determine if it is a fax or voice call (by the presence or absence of CCITT "beeps") and ring the phone attached to the fax machine if it is a call. Or output to an answerphone in the fax machine or connected to it.

But on a normal line it cannot be determined if it is a fax or voice call unless the line is answered, and then the device answering is committed to the process.

PC's tend to make inflexible fax machines.

Rob99
27-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Does the XP faxing program when set on automatically answer after ? rings check to see if it is a fax before answering & cutting off an incoming call.No
Does anyone know an ansafone program that would work with itref: godfather

Or splash out and get yourself a new printer that will do what you want.