PDA

View Full Version : Firmware upgrade

Ian
27-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi there

I purchased a cheap laptop (Acer Travelmate 527TXV running Win98) a few weeks ago, it is going great except even though the battery is fully charged when you first turn it on it registers as 0%.

If you pull out the battery and replace it it then registers 100% and I have used it for over 2 hours on battery only so I know it works.

A friend suggested I upgrade the Bios so I went to Acers sight and there duly was a firmware upgrade file, the problem is that to flash the Bios, the machine insists on having a charge battery as a backup.

I have checked all the Acer downloads and there is no power management software I do not have.

I am also going to upgrade to OS to XP Pro and Acer say you need to upgrade the Bios first.

Can anybody help!!!

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2005, 05:37 PM
How does it update the BIOS?? In DOS?? In that case, you dont need any power management software. As it wont work in DOS. And u may have to make a system disk/floppy, and chuck the BIOS update on it.

Cant you use power while updating the BIOS??

Ian
27-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the question

I have created a floppy and when I reboot with Mains power it starts the upgrade software (on the disk), but when you go to start an error pops up saying unable to proceed beacuse battery not fully charged.

This is porbaby a good feature as a back up but I need a work around.

Ian

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Hmm maybe u need XP so it reads the battery power properly. I cant think of anything else that'll give u the correct info, on the power of the battery.

tekno23
28-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Probably just a faulty battery anyway. I don't think flashing the bios will fix the battery usage problem. Also you can't get round the battery needing to be fully charged to flash the bios. I have tried it before. If you want a new battery they are about $200.

Agent_24
28-02-2005, 10:02 PM
If you've had it running for over 2 hours, then the battery should be fine?

I'm inclined to beleive the firmware idea, or something more mainboard-related